Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Weighty issues

So the one benefit to being sick for the last two months is that I've lost a little weight. Not much, but the five that I wanted to lose. The trick of course will be to keep it off as my appetite returns. I'm hoping that my stomach has shrunk just a little to help me with portion control... assuming I don't do my best to stretch it out again.

Two years ago, when my daughter was 3 1/2, I finally got my act together and lost my "baby" weight - 17 1/2 pounds - to get back to the weight I was before I was pregnant with Taz. I had been going to the gym and running but had increased my eating proportionally.

At first, when my babies were little, I ate every meal as though I didn't know when I might eat again. Because I didn't. Taz and Rainbow are 15 months apart, so those first two years were tough. Then I was in the habit of eating big meals, snacking, and finishing their food - as disgusting as that is. I also turned to chocolate in excess for comfort.

My diet plan was to cut down on chocolate, eat a salad every day, and eat smaller portions. Easy enough, and sustainable! This winter though my portion size and chocolate intake crept back up while my salad consumption declined.

So now I'm finally back at my goal weight - at least, my easy goal weight. I'd really like to be 10 pounds lighter; I just don't know if that's sustainable for me. I haven't been that weight for so many years that I have no reference point for what it would take...

My new trick is telling myself that lost weight = free speed.

No comments: