Thursday, February 8, 2007

BRRRR!

It was cold this morning! When I got home from my run, our outdoor thermometer read 24 degrees. I didn't look before I started because I didn't want to know! My face froze. My eyes were watering, then the tears were freezing, so my eyelashes stuck together. I kept pulling the collar of my fleece over my face to thaw slightly. Everything else was fine, thanks to my TriGirl fleece and my new winter cycling pants.

As cold as it was, today was even tougher mentally. My mind kept straying to thoughts of cutting my run short, being warm, wondering if I'm crazy... I managed to grind out 4.5 miles (9:29 minutes/mile average), mainly by playing tricks on myself. I told myself I had to get through the first mile before I could stop, then I had to hit 2 1/2 miles to make my weekly minimum, and by then, I was 2 miles away from home - no point in walking! There's a saying I really like - something about the body being able to do whatever the mind will allow. That's totally true for me.

Geesh, I'm glad that one is done. What happened to our 60 degree winter days like we had in January?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to hang in there!
I felt the exact same way at the start of my run.

Susie

P.S. I want to go shopping with your daughter. :)