Tuesday, February 6, 2007

5 in 48

Wow this sounds really dumb I know but I just realized how much I kick my own ass Sunday through Tuesday. The 5 in 48 of the title is five workouts in 48 hours.

Sunday mornings, I run; Sunday nights, swim; Monday weights; Monday night, cycling; then the grand finale, Tuesday morning, run. I haven't actually done all of those in the last few weeks so I guess I kinda forgot what it feels like.

Cycling is still the one that is the hardest. Last night was no exception but I did add some drama by falling off my bike. Yes, on the trainer. And not just once; twice. Coach Blake was his wonderful self and helped me swap the trainer for one that was actually stable. And as much as I complain about cycling class, I actually noticed a teeny tiny bit of improvement last night. I can stand and pedal in a circular motion now instead of the jerky strides I was making at first. And I actually don't mind standing anymore. That's what 40 minutes at level 8 and 9 with the big chain ring and in aero position will do to you - any change is good change! Well except maybe going to level 10.

I cycled beside Liz last night and she is unbelievable. At one point, we were supposed to pedal as fast as we could and count our rotations for 30 seconds. She was the fastest at 65; I did something like... um, 20. Okay just kidding; I'm not quite that pathetic. Almost, but not quite!

We hit a new low temperature for the season. It was 6 degrees Farenheit last night. Brrrr!!!! I hit the treadmill at the gym this morning instead of running my usual route around my neighborhood. I haven't run on the treadmill for ages. I had my iPod cranking with some new songs to help combat the boredom, and I played with the incline and speed settings for a little variety. I ended up running four miles at an average of 9:04 minutes/mile, negative splits. The only real problem was that I couldn't cool down. Next time (probably Thursday if it stays this cold!), I'll walk a little or maybe use the elliptical until I'm cooler before jumping in the shower.

Now, ahhh, a 24 hour break before spin class tomorrow morning.

Note to self: Never ever EVER again eat chilli before cycling class. Or any other physical activity for that matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy you are feeling some improvement from the cycling class. It will be awesome to see the before/after!