Monday, February 5, 2007

Weekend Workouts

My running partner is out of town this week, so instead of running with her yesterday, I had a fun run with my 6 year old son. He is very interested in training for his triathlon in June, so he did a reverse brick workout with me. We ran together for 1.7 miles (including as many walk breaks as he wanted and one stop at home for him to get his MP3 player), then he hopped on his bike while I ran 2 1/2 miles beside him. I tried to explain the jelly-leg feeling you get when going from biking to running and he laughed at me, so I had him try it when he got off the bike. He was very funny trying to describe how strange his little legs felt! We were both very proud of his efforts. I'll have to figure out a way to fit this "workout" into my schedule every weekend. Or I should say, every weekend that he wants to do it. I want exercise to stay fun for him.

I also swam last night for the first time in three weeks - yikes! At first, I felt like I was floundering and I probably looked like a drowning woman, but by the end my stroke felt more comfortable. Som had us do speed drills last night. We made it through 2150 yds of the 2800 yd workout he had designed for us, which is more than I've ever swum at one time as an adult. We even did 100 IM (one lenghth each butterfly, backstroke, breastroke, and freestyle). I haven't swum butterfly in years and years. It felt awkward and tiring but also fun to try something different.

The rest of the weekend was pretty quiet. I finally went to the doctor on Friday since I've been sick for almost a month. He prescribed antibiotics and hard-core prescription level Sudafed. I am feeling better and hope that it lasts this time. I also took my poor daughter to the doctor on Friday. She started getting our cold, plus she had pink eye and an ear infection. We spent $100 on co-pays alone at the pharmacy. My son is still on an antibiotic for his ear infection; my husband still has this miserable cold and pink eye but refuses to go to the doctor. He snitched some of my daughter's eye drops which helped his eye, thank goodness. Given that we were contageous and miserable, we decided to cancel any plans we had for the weekend and go into self-prescribed quarantine!

Last week, I hit my run, bike, and yoga goals but missed swim and weight lifting goals. That's why my overall goal is 45 out of 52 weeks in each activity, right, to account for crazy weeks when I just can't fit it all in? Hopefully, this week I will finally feel better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Sick! I hope you didn't get it from me. All I had is a cough and I don't think anyone else caught it but you never no.
Running with a cold is rough. Good luck!
Jon

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome that your 6 year old is going to be a triathlete! You know, it just seems like the natural thing for a kid to do. Isn't that what we all did as kids during the summer? Swim, bike, run. Repeat.
Grandison