Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Random Wednesday thoughts

I have a lot of random mid-week thoughts swirling around in my head that defied a nice concise title.

I really didn't eat a Dove bar last night, although I did seriously consider it.

I'm not allowed to use the shower at work. As TriGirl40 commented, it's crazy that doing something good for myself and for the environment has to be so difficult.

Today, I spent the morning at home with my poor sick little girl. Her temperature is still over 101. It's been in the 100 - 102.7 range since Friday. I left a message with her pediatrician because this has gone on way too long for my comfort, and I'm anxiously awaiting a return call. My daughter emailed her teacher this morning (with very little help from Mommy other than spelling a few words) to say she misses her classmates. She said to tell her friend Liz not to worry because Mommy is taking good care of her. Isn't she adorable? We had a lovely morning watching the 12 Dancing Princesses movie, playing hide and seek, and yes, we worked in a yoga video. She loves doing the "happy baby" pose in particular. She did only some of it with me today, then she reclined on the couch and critiqued my form. She was actually quite helpful.

I've been trying really hard not to complain anymore but I'm still sick too, damn it. I still have a sore throat, some congestion, and an annoying cough. I'll probably have her fever virus next. My doctor said I'm getting the average 5-6 colds per year consecutively. I hope that means I'll be healthy from March through December!

Before my daughter was sick and before I realized that today is Ash Wednesday, I accepted an invitation to a happy hour this afternoon, hosted by the consulting company for which I work. I am probably going to zip by for just a few minutes, only because it is on my way home. As a consultant, I rarely see my employers because I am on a client's site - so it's a good idea to go, even briefly. Even though I really don't feel like it.

My husband is going to church tonight when I get home. He is Catholic, and we agreed to raise our children in the Catholic church. My kids think it's hilarious when he comes home with "dirt" on his forehead on Ash Wednesday. I like the ceremony and structure of Catholic mass but completely abhor the... what's the right word? Business aspect? Chauvinism? Blind dogmatism? of Catholicism. One day, my children are going to ask questions about why only men can be popes and why nuns and priests can't get married or raise a family. I will have to tell them the truth... that it's adherence to tradition with no consideration of reasonableness or effort to grow and learn with modern times. Well, okay, I'll have to tell them the truth as I see it. Daddy may have a different answer.

Wow, I've really veered off topic... not that I really had one to begin with.

Since this is supposed to be a blog about triathlon training, I guess I should at least mention swimming, biking, or running. I realized yesterday that I am only 500 meters away from meeting my year-to-date swim goals. If I can sneak in another swim this week - a quick one at that - I'll be there. Hmmm, I'll have to figure out a way to work that in.

I got an email from a friend this morning who heard that I am training for a triathlon. She wanted to know how I find time to fit it in. Have you heard the analogy about fitting sand, pebbles, and rocks into a jar? If you start with the sand and pebbles, the rocks will never fit. But, if you start with the rocks (aka, the big important things), the sand and pebbles will fill in around them. My babies and my training are my rocks. I'm still trying to cram too many pebbles and too much sand around them, but at least I'm making room for those rocks.

Perhaps tomorrow I will be capable of forming more cohesive thoughts. Or not, but perhaps I won't feel compelled to post them.

No comments: