Thursday, February 1, 2007

Patriot Half

So I've been seriously thinking about the Patriot Half on September 8.

Last night, as I was trying to get to sleep, I started adding up my estimated times in each event. It would take me 7 - 8 hours to finish. Can I really exercise that long? I admit, I am in the process of overcoming an aerobics mentality. After an hour, I'm done!

The furthest I've ever biked is ~ 20 miles. That's a far cry from the 56 that would be required of me in the half - on the heels of a 1.2 mile swim. The furthest I've ever run is 10 miles. The Army 10 miler was a blast and I think I could run 13 with no problem - but can I do it after an hour (or more) of swimming and 3 1/2 hours (or more) of biking?

I ran on Tuesday morning after skiing all weekend and cycling Monday night, and my legs were shot. I cut my run short (ran 4 miles, 9:11 min/mile) and started asking myself, if I can't even run 5 teeny little miles after skiing and cycling THE DAY BEFORE, could I really run 13 after swimming and cycling immediately prior?

The real question is whether or not I can put in the training time to be able to improve enough to accomplish this feat. Can I justify the training time to myself and to my family? That's the part I'm struggling with. If I'm not going to prepare properly, there is no point in doing it. But if not now, when? So... still debating...

_________________
By the way, can someone enlighten me as to how to use a word or title to link to another site without entering the whole damn url? I'm apparently too dumb to figure it out on my own. This stuff is really not that hard...

3 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

the answer is yes. Yes you can do it...yes you should and no, your kids won't miss you more. You are already the same amount of time (quantity) that you need to. You totally can do it!
Plus, your kids are in school all day! and I think you need to re-calculate the times....I think you'd finish closer to 6 or 6.5 hours...knowing how competative you are.

To make a link just click on the icon that looks like a greenish yellow chain link at the top of your page (near the bold icon). Then a box pops up for the URL.

TriGirl 40 said...

I second Jonah's comments - you already have the discipline and the skills to do a half - my guess is that it would just be a few adjustments to the hours you are already training!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Di, you can do it. You take it step by step by step....and then you're there. You don't have to be ready tomorrow....
On another note, the rationalization I like to use when thinking about my training time taking me away from my family time is two part:
1) I'm a better mom/wife when I get that time to myself
2) What better influence could you be? Through your training, you show your kids how important it is to follow through with your dreams, to work hard for what you want and to live a healthy lifestyle.
G