Friday, February 9, 2007

Why Tri?

I got hooked on triathlon blog sites this fall. I love all the TriGirl blogs (and um, note to Carmen and Melissa - please post something! anything! Your fans miss hearing from you). I've followed links on their blogs to a number of others. And so on. Through all of these adventures in blogland, I've read a lot of commentary on why people do triathlons. Examples include pushing your body beyond preconceived limits, conquering fear, overcoming obstacles... all great reasons that make sense to me.


But yesterday, I followed a link on Triathlon Mom's site and found Greyhound's site. His tag line reads, "Training is recess! Go play!" I read his current and recent posts, and in one he talks about training and tri-ing for the sheer joy of it. Grandison also made a comment on this blog about my six year old son's triathlon training, saying, "You know, it just seems like the natural thing for a kid to do. Isn't that what we all did as kids during the summer? Swim, bike, run. Repeat."


Those comments really resonate with me. I'm going to try (no pun intended) to approach my training as play time. I think it will help if I think, "Hey, it's Monday night and I get to go to a cycling playdate with my TriGirl friends!" instead of my usual "SH@#, it's Monday night, I have to go get my butt kicked in cycling."


It works for yoga. I look at yoga as my treat during the week. Even though it's hard, I kind of don't realize it because I'm focused on relaxing and being good to myself - sort of like a spa treatment. When I'm sore the next day (and always in odd places!), I'm surprised. And happy - I like the feeling of being a little sore and knowing I've stretched my body a little bit further.


I don't know if a new approach will make me a better cycler, but it sure will make it more fun.

(And Jonah, thanks for the tip on creating links!)

2 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Love the idea of considering our workouts playdates. But I think our play dates should also include group TRIgirl shoe shopping with your little, sweet Imelda.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am going to try this idea of thinking of my workouts as something fun. Thanks for the idea. I like the idea of shoe shopping afterwards too!

DL