Sunday, February 11, 2007

Fun Day

After two days of rest, I got to work out today. Yeah! The rest on Friday was completely unintentional. I went to the gym at lunchtime fully expecting to take a weight lifting class; unfortunately, I had forgotten to pack my shoes. Unwilling to make a fashion statement in spandex and brown boots, I had to forgo the class. I was hoping to make it up yesterday but it wasn't meant to be.

This morning, thank goodness, I got to run! My workout partner has been on vacation for the last week with no time to work out, so she warned me that she probably didn't have much of a run in her. So I ran the mile and a half to meet her, then we ran four miles together. We conveniently finished our run at Starbucks which gave us time to catch up. We walked back to our starting point and I ran the mile and a half back home for a total of seven miles (9:29 minutes/mile average).

I had promised to take my children to the YMCA pool this afternoon, and they were waiting for me in bathing suits when I got home. So cute! We practiced swimming, headstands, flips, and they did quite a few cannonballs off the side.
They each swam four laps, pausing to hang on the lane line occasionally to catch their breath. They will have to swim two laps in their triathlon, and they want to be ready. Kick boards are optional in that event but apparently they want to power it out without props. I can respect that. My son is swimming really well and is catching on to the breathing. My daughter is doing much better at using her arms although the breathing still eludes her. She dog paddles to breath. It is effective! I used to teach beginning swimming lessons when I was in high school, and it is so fun to teach my own children.

I took their joy with me to Som's TriGirl Master swim workout tonight. It was a tough workout - 1750 yds felt harder than the 2000+ we did last week. We did a lot of long sets with only a 10 second break in between. I suppose I need to work on endurance. I quite enjoyed it.

It felt really good to work out today.

No comments: