Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Weekend Update

I can't believe it's already Wednesday and we haven't chatted about my amazing weekend yet!

We went to Wintergreen for a long weekend with Corinnie Beanie and her family. Cate couldn't join us the whole time, but they were able to come Sunday for the day. This was my kids' first skiing experience! And the first time my husband and I have skied in eight years - since the winter before I was pregnant with my son. We were all very excited!

We drove up on Saturday morning, got settled in our luxurious three bedroom condo, then hit the tubing hill, "The Plunge." It was a great run - very long and fast. We were able to hook all four tubes together and go down as a group.

Unfortunately, the Bean and family got kicked off the Plunge. They had tickets for the smaller tubing run. We did too, but we didn't get caught.

I'm not sure who had more fun - the parents or the kids. My husband liked to get us off to a fast start, then he figured out that he could pull the rope connecting us to bump me and pick up speed. Good fun!

On Sunday, we went skiing. The older kids did ski school in the morning; my daughter and one younger girl weren't old enough for ski school so we booked them a private lesson. My husband and I are not strong skiers so it was definitely better for them to learn from someone who is proficient.
It made all the difference in the world! They were much more comfortable after the lesson.

The adults were able to get a few runs in while the kids were in lessons. Hubby and I did four runs down the "Dobie" which is a green hill but pretty good. There was some ice on the slopes but also a lot of powder from the snow making equipment. The ability to ski came back to us pretty quickly, and we were more comfortable on our own skis by the time we picked the kids back up.

My daughter absolutely loved it! She didn't want to go to lunch because she wanted to keep skiing. She is mini-me, so for her to skip a meal is a big big deal!

My son wanted to try snow boarding, which was a mistake. I wish someone there had advised against it. Snow boarding seems much more difficult and uncontrollable. It was a frustrating experience for all involved, although after the fact, he said he loved it. We convinced him to try skis the next day, which he said he loved equally. He seemed much happier, and therefore so were we.

By the end of the weekend, they were both little kamakazies! They flew down the mountain. It was hilarious! I started out saying they are going to be better skiers than me by the time they are 10; I ended up saying they are going to be better skiers than me by next year.

On the way home, we made a quick stop at Veritas Vineyards for a tasting and to purchase some wine. They are fairly young and very good. We joined their wine of the month club while we were there. Hopefully the case we bought will last us until the first shipment which occurs, um, next week.

I can't wait to go again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are ready to turn 'Canadian'...we drink wine & ski all the time up here!! Sounds like you had an awesome time. I'm off Sunday with 4 girls to Mont Tremblant...ski, spa, spirits!!! Hopefully no smokes...well...they all start with S...no seriously, no smoking...anything...xojo

Melissa said...

I was there on Sunday, too!!! I try to get up there as much as possbile - Sundays are my season pass day trip. If you want to go again just let me know. I love it.