Tuesday, January 2, 2007

2007 Goals

Happy 2007!

I've been thinking about my 2007 fitness goals. My main objectives are to improve my cycling form, build endurance on the bike, and to improve my nutrition. I have some lower priority objectives as well such as increasing cycling and running speeds. Here it all is:

  • Maintain an appropriate balance of training/exercise and family time.
  • Continue with TriGirls. Get to know the team better and have fun!
  • Improve strength, form, and speed on the bike. Dream goal: 18 mph average speed over 20 mile distance.
  • Improve run form and increase speed to 8:15 minute miles over 10k distance. Run 3x/week for minimum distance 10 miles/ideal 16 miles.
  • Be more consistent with swim and bike workouts - 1x/week minimum swim (1600 meters); 1-2x/week minimum bike (15 miles minimum/30 miles ideal).
  • Strength train two hours per week.
  • Yoga or pilates 1x/week for 45 minutes.
  • Track food intake on mypyramid.gov chart five days per week.
  • Eat at least three servings of fruits/vegtables per day.

I am extremely schedule oriented, so for this to work, I have to plan my week. Here's what my winter schedule looks like:

Sun ...... Mon ........... Tues ....... Wed ........ Thurs ...... Fri ............. Sat

run ........weights .......run ......... cycling ...... run ........ weights ..... rest

swim .....cycling ......................... yoga .......... swim (opt)

I've been doing most of it for the last two months, but in this schedule I added the Sunday night TriGirl swim which starts next week thank goodness, an optional Thursday swim, and a Wednesday cycling. I will either set my trainer up in my family room on Wednesday mornings or go to spin classes Wednesdays at lunch time. I have two cycling/trainer DVDs that will hopefully be good. If not, I can crank out some music or watch TV I guess.

This spring, I'd like to add another bike ride and have been thinking about riding to/from work once or twice per week. I'm concerned about traffic. Once the weather warms up, I'll have to do a test ride one weekend to see how scary it is. The swim will no longer be optional in the spring either, so this is my chance to work into it gradually.

So that's the plan, and I'm committing to it here.