Friday, January 19, 2007

Book Club



My book club meets every other month. Whoever hosts selects the book, and we have read a nice variety of fiction, non-fiction, historical fiction, and trash.

For last night's meeting, our book was The Power of Intention by Dr. Wayne Dyer selected by hostess extraordinaire, Beth. If you don't believe in a higher power, don't bother reading this book. It is about an all-encompassing force in the universe to which we are all connected. He calls it the Source. (Funny girl Corinne says, "May the Source be with you.")

I think the overall message is interesting, but I did not like Dr. Dyer's writing style. Members of my book club agreed that he appears to be condescending and egotistical. Which is ironic, because one of his points is to disengage the ego to connect more fully with the Source. The book was also repetitive. As Cate pointed out, some of the passages read like a college student trying to add 100 more words to a paper.

One of my favorite parts of the book is the following message, which he wrote is posted in his children's bedroom:

Good morning,

This is God.

I will be handling

All of your

Problems today.

I will not need

Your help, so have

A miraculous day.

My other favorite was "Rule Number Six." The concept is that whenever one is upset or freaking out over something, remember rule number six, which is "Don't take yourself so goddamn seriously." There are no other rules.

I would recommend the Reader's Digest condensed version of this book but not the whole thing.

No comments: