Monday, January 8, 2007

Week 2

It's the second week of 2007 already. I've been pretty good about remembering the new year, but terrible about knowing what day it is when writing checks, etc. Can't believe it's already the 8th!

For the first week, I hit my weekly goals other than swimming. The second week is shaping up to look similar, although I finally got in the pool thanks to Som. He created a TriGirl winter swim program which started last night. I didn't track exactly how much we swam, but it was probably about 1300 meters which puts me 300 meters short of my weekly goal. My second swim day/time is Thursdays at lunch but I have a conflict this week. Perhaps I can talk myself into some pool time on another day. Som says it is important to swim 2-3 days per week even with shorter distances, just to stay comfortable in the water.

Som is so great! He is such a patient and enthusiastic coach. He even called us giraffes last night (swimming with raised necks sticking out of the water) and we still love him. Swimming actually felt really good! I ended up in the fast lane where I didn't belong and got to meet some TriGirls I had heard of before but never met. It was educational just to watch their form.

My running buddies Corinne and Masha joined the winter swim program with me. We carpooled together along with TriGirl Kathryn, so even the travel time was fun. Other than the dark rainy miserable night I had to drive through to get us all home, but I digress...

Kathryn and I had never met previously but joined TriGirls at the same time. It turns out that we live near each other, have children the same age and at the same elementary school, and know a lot of people in common. She quickly became my closest TriGirl friend and car-pooler and is one of the big reasons I enjoy the group so much.

Today, I did my usual weights class at lunch, and I have the aptly named Ed's Shenanigans cycling class tonight with TriGirls. I'm scheduled to attend cycling class on Monday nights but have only been to two of them since the beginning of December between holiday madness, conflicts, and gym closures on the last two Mondays. From what I understand, Ed has significantly ratcheted up the difficulty level and I'm going to get my butt kicked tonight. Bring it on!!!!!

(Ahem, just kidding... really... )

No comments: