Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tag

TriGirl40 tagged me with the following questions:

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever
2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon
3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

Here are my answers. What are yours?

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever
My first tri was the ACAC Sprint in October, 2006. My favorite memory is finishing the swim, getting through T1, settling down on the bike and starting to ride. I was biking along, trying to settle down, and I saw a cute little family tucked on the side of the rode watching the action and cheering on the bikers. As I got closer, I realized it was MY cute little family! My kids (ages 5 & 6) went crazy when I rode by. They went to another spot along the bike course, drove past me going to ACAC as I was finishing the bike leg, and waited for me at the finish line, cheering wildly every time they saw me. It was such a great feeling! My babies were so cute and so proud of me when I finished. I felt really great that they saw what Mommy had been training for and totally got that it was important to me.

2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon
My most recent and first are one and the same! Another memory is that I was soooo jacked up on adrenalin and nerves before it started! I was literally jumping up and down beside the pool because I couldn't stand still. By the time I finally got in the water and started swimming, I was a lunatic and passed 4-5 people in front of me. I finished 5th out of 47 in my age group.

3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
Well, the photos of me coming out of the pool are certainly embarrasing! Also at T2 I couldn't remember what my number was or where to rack my bike. Some guy to pity on me and, after reading my race number to me from my body markings, pointed to my row. I thanked him profusely for adding some time to his own T2 to help a poor clueless novice - thereby adding more time for him! I felt pretty silly. It was a good learning experience for me to find a landmark or bring a balloon or something.

4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
Guess what? Same tri. I think the most thrilling thing was how exilerated I felt at the finish line. I finished strong to an awesome cheering section of my kids and husband, and a huge rowdy group of TriGirls! Immediately, I couldn't wait to do another one.

I've done running events before and am not so crazy about them. It's the same thing I do regularly, just with a lot more people and a few water stops. But the tri was a totally different experience. I was combining three sports sequentially and trying to perform well in all of them. It's something I'd never do on my own, and therefore I loved the race experience as something different and new and challenging.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
I discovered that I am very competitive. Not so much with other people, but definitely with myself. I wanted my times to line up with my expectations, and now, I want to beat those times.

6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?
I'm seriously thinking about the Patriot Half in September. It scares the hell out of me and I have to admit that's part of the attraction. I really believe I can do it if I put my mind to it; however, I'm concerned that I will have to make too many sacrifices to put in the proper training time. No committment yet, but maybe soon.



I'm supposed to tag six other people to answer these questions, but the only triathlete bloggers I know are the ones TriGirl40 already picked so I'm going to cheat and pick the same ones. Susie Q, Carmen, Melissa, TriMom, Nancy Toby and TriGirl40 - you're it twice!

2 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Great answers! Just wait till you have a few more tris to draw from - like maybe that Patriot Half!

Anonymous said...

You know you're going to do the Patriot Half....it will be fun!

Susie Q