Saturday, January 6, 2007

Fun House

I have long held a theory that we women view ourselves in a fun house mirror. Body parts are either way too small or way too large. I, for example, see myself with a peanut head, small upper body, large hips, and elephant legs. I am essentially a triangle in my own little fun house mirror.

It is completely an unrealistic assessment of myself; one which none of my friends would agree with, and one which I would never use to describe another human being. Yet my own inner voice is the one I hear most; therefore, it is the one I believe.

Let's resolve to train our inner voices to be kind. Assess ourselves as we would assess our friends, with a kinder gentler perspective.

On a related note, I think some men have a fun house mirror too but theirs seems to work in reverse - things they want to be small appear small and vice versa for large - whether it's true or not. Theirs can be equally unrealistic but at least it's positive!

2 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Yep, you are right, the rest of the world sees you as this incredibly fit person - with a body we would trade ours for any day of the week. I think age helps to some degree. I'm much more accepting of my body, faults and all, than I was in my twenties.

Diane said...

Wow - thanks! You made my day! And I'll happily trade anytime...