Thursday, January 18, 2007

Workout Update

Lest you think I have been slacking off the last two days since I haven't mentioned any workouts, let me assure you that I am not.

Yesterday, I did spin and yoga classes at the Y. Both were more get-it-done workouts than anything really to write about. The Y is always so crowded in January. On one hand, I wish the New Year's resolutions would stick so we have a healthier, happier community. On the other, I'm looking forward to February when I can have some personal space back!

Jon and I were going to run again this morning, but unfortunately he has gotten sick during his brief foray from Chicago to Richmond. He wisely decided that a little extra sleep was more important than a run this morning. So, I was back out with my iPod for company.

What a difference a few days makes in Richmond! Tuesday morning, it was 64 degrees for our run. Today, it was 28. Brrrr! Fortunately, I had my snuggly warm TriGirl fleece to protect me from the elements. It was so cold that my eyes were watering like crazy for the first part of the run. I'm sure I looked lovely with my bright red face with tears streaming down it! I chugged out five miles at an 8:55/mile average.

And... as if that's not enough... I packed my gym bag with (drum roll, please) goggles, bathing suit and swim cap. I even put waterproof mascara on this morning. In the spirit of full disclosure, I've taken these exact same steps three times, and there it has ended. Why will today be any different, you may wonder? Well, I made a date to meet a friend at the pool at noon. Because I know she'll be there waiting for me, I will be far more inclined to actually go. And I know that once I get in the water and swim a lap or two, I'll like it.

I can't help but think of Dory in Finding Nemo... "swimming, swimming, swimming... just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." But for me, instead of just keep swimming, it's just start swimming!

No comments: