Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Little Sister

Grandison created a new Big/Little Sister program for TriGirls this year, as you may have read about in various other TriGirl blogs. While I am by no means qualified, I volunteered in case Grandison was in desperate need of someone. I ended up getting a terrific little sister, Jen. We met for coffee on Saturday. She has an extensive fitness background, although she has been out of it for awhile, and is a very cool lady. It turns out that we live near each other and I have met her before. She is friends with new TriGirls Jennifer and Caroline, whom I've known since childhood.

Jennifer and Caroline both have fabulous big sisters, but I doubt their relationship will involve much hazing. That's where I'll step in to enhance their triathlon experience. I have lots of skill in that area from my college sorority days. HA!

Anyway, Jen will participate in her first triathlon at the Shady Grove Sprint in June. That will probably be my first race of the season as well. It is preceeded by the kids tri that my children are doing.

And - am I CRAZY???? - I'm thinking about doing the newly announced Patriot Half which is 1.2 mile swim in the James River, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run. Can I do that? I believe I could do the individual components although I've never biked or run that far, but I have no idea whether I can string the three together.

I had been contemplating the Naylor's Beach Olympic distance, but that has lost appeal to me since they moved it to the end of September. I've also heard scary things about traffic and hills at that race.

Hmmm... something to think about...

At some point, I really need to run my potential race schedule by my husband to make sure he's good with all the kid duty!

2 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

If I can do it ...you can do it.
Yes, go for it ...you are not crazy at all...
Having biked the Naylor's course (but not done the race) I say Patriot will be much funner! Did I mention the slippery sand all over the road at Naylors?

Robin said...

I say go for the half. You never know until you Tri ;-)