Sunday, January 21, 2007

Cold

I've managed to catch a cold. It's my first of the season, thank goodness. My son had it, then my husband, now me. I hope my daughter remains unscathed. I've been pretty miserable for a couple of days and have been chugging Tylenol Cold like crazy.

Fortunately, Grandison has thought of every contingency to help us train. She has a post on our forum about training while ill, with tips from Dr. Teresa Stadler. Dr. Stadler describes symptoms of the common cold as compared to other similar illnesses like the flu. So I've ascertained that it is just a cold, and I can continue to workout to the degree that I want. This morning, I went for my ususal run only because I called Masha too late to cancel. We did a fairly slow three miles - average 10 minutes/mile. I didn't have anymore in me.
.
Dr. Stadler, who specializes in sports medicine, advises that swimming is not the best idea with a cold. That's all I needed to read to miss tonights class with Som. And I will miss it. Honest.
Dr. Stadler is an amazing woman. The first time I saw her was at the ACAC sprint tri. She was six months pregnant and she was on a relay team. She swam and ran; someone else biked. She said the baby threw off her center of gravity on the bike and she didn't want to risk a fall. Seeing her from the back, you would never know she was pregnant. She just had a tiny little tummy with super-fit everywhere else. I'm since met her and discovered that she is as nice as she is fit. Gotta love the network that Grandison has built!
.
I'm off to blow my nose for the 3,659,872nd time in the last five minutes.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Feel better, TriDi! Don't push yourself too hard.