Monday, October 22, 2007

Whoa - back up!

As I was catching up on blogs this morning, I realized that I forgot to post about my fun Saturday morning bike ride as some of my co-riders did. I guess by the time I posted on Sunday night, I had either killed those brain cells or somehow managed to otherwise forget that the post I wrote in my head never actually made it to the screen... so we'll see what I can remember...

Richard, Kathryn, Kermit and I met in my driveway to do the same loop we did last week to Manakin and back. I had just told Kathryn we were riding the night before at a school event, so I was surprised and happy that she was able to join us. She hadn't ridden in three weeks while her bike was in the shop but she still kicked my butt.

We took off fast 'cause that's how I roll... Richard always teases me that I start every ride as though it's a time trial. It was a little chilly but not nearly as cold as last week. I wore cycling shorts and arm warmers and was comfortable for most of the ride. Richard and Kathryn had summer gear and Kermit was dressed for a snow storm, so we looked like a multi-season cycling fashion show-on-the-road.

I wasn't sure whether Annnn was going to be able to meet us or not, but she honked and waved as she drove by us on Patterson so we zipped through West Creek to pick her up. She was ready to ride but I was ready to chat! Finally the group made me get back on my bike. We hit a couple big hills on Patterson then looped through Manakin towards Broad Street. Annnn took the lead and powered off at a fast pace. Annn, Kathryn and I alternated leading while the boys kept up the rear and enjoyed the draft. I heard them chatting the whole time so clearly they needed to be working harder!

We separated when we got back to West Creek, with Kathryn and I turning towards home. I checked our pace at that point (17.7 mph) and again when we got back to my house (17.6 mph). That last hilly section kicks my butt every time but the pace impact wasn't as great as I expected.

Scouter joked that I was in and out of the shower before Richard and Kermit got back - he thought Kathryn and I dropped them. Maybe next time! ha ha

Can't wait to do it again! I love our Saturday rides.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you *did* drop us! I slept half the day Saturday, I swear!

Unknown said...

You are so fast on your bike!!

susieq

REB60 said...

Now for us to be draft whores, we would have to have been close enough to actually draft. We were not where near that close.