Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I've been thinking a bit about how a year of involvement in the sport of triathlon has changed me. Here for your reading pleasure is what I've come up with:

  1. I set my alarm to wake up early in the morning on purpose - before Taz stirs even (!!!).
  2. I eat an English muffin with peanut butter and OJ for breakfast instead of Cheetos and a Diet Coke.
  3. I "fuel" and "hydrate" instead of "eat" and "drink."
  4. My main criteria for a hairstyle is that I can pull it out of my face while working out.
  5. I read triathlete or cycling magazines more often than People or In Style.
  6. I'm far more interested in the new Newton running shoes than the latest fashionable fall shoe. I would write "wedge" or "ankle boot" or something, but first I'd have to research what is fashionable this fall.
  7. I frequently arrive at work with goggle marks and smelling like chlorine... and I like it. (Frequently is a bit strong - occasionally is more accurate given my paltry swim training.)
  8. My excuse for not wearing makeup is that I'll just sweat it off during my lunch time workouts.
  9. My main complaint about my job is that I can't commute on my bike because I don't have access to a shower.
  10. I have a Luna bar or a Cliff bar for a mid-afternoon snack instead of a Snickers. (Is there any real difference?)
  11. My latest shopping excursions have been to Performance Bike instead of Nordstrom.
  12. If I lose a pound or two, I worry that I'm not adequately hydrated.
  13. I haven't bought clothes for myself that didn't contain lycra or dry weave in months.
  14. All of my favorite casual clothes are labeled "TriGirl" and can double as workout clothes.
  15. I get upset when I can't take my bike with me on vacation.
  16. Pigging out is called "carbo loading."
  17. I'm actually relieved when we don't have plans on Friday night so that I can be rested for my Saturday morning bike ride.
  18. I've learned to like the taste of Accelerade.
  19. I drink more frequently from a water bottle than a wine glass.
  20. Drinking wine is now "tapering," "recovery," or "contributing to a good cause."

How has triathlon changed you?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

sucha good post! i have thought abotu so many and as i read them i was like. yeah me too. yeah me too on that, too. etc etc. and i now read labels in the grocery store b/c God forbid I get white bread instead of 100% whole grain, etc.

so IMNX 2009?