Friday, October 19, 2007

Progress?

One of the things I really like about the company I'm currently with is that every Friday, we have bagels. Big yummy bagels from Einstein. I eagerly anticipate Bagel Fridays. I skip my normal oatmeal or English muffin with peanut butter or Luna bar and rush to work to have my bagel. I usually have a lovely sesame seed bagel with light cream cheese or every now and then I get really crazy and have an asiago cheese or everything bagel or maybe even honey walnut cream cheese. Sometimes I don't even go to my desk before I pop my jumbo sesame delight into the toaster oven. Mmmm...

So imagine my dismay when I skipped into the kitchen near my office this morning and discovered.... donuts. Oh the horror! They were sticky chocolaty goopy contraptions that struck me as extremely unappetizing. Revolting even.

Two men in my office had just gleefully selected their own sugary confection as I stopped dead and my tracks and assumed the facial expression of one who had just smelled something really nasty. They laughed at me and suggested that I grab a donut.

"Absolutely not," I responded. "I couldn't." I paused for a moment. "Well, I could I guess. But I won't." Another beat. "Well maybe I will."

I grabbed a glaze encrusted blueberry donut thinking it looked the most healthy - clearly healthy is relative here - and stomped back to my desk. And I ate it. And it was good. Damn good.

But I really wanted my bagel.

So if I actually wanted to ingest something marginally healthy instead of a sticky sweet calorie laden nutritionally void item, does that count as progress?

I didn't think so either.

4 comments:

REB60 said...

Ha! We have donuts EVERY Friday. Lot's of different kinds, and bagels, too! The donuts are usually gone by 9:00 and bagels linger until late afternoon. I usually eat at home and skip this, but there are people you know (Rob) who would take a cut in pay before taking a cut in donuts!

TriGirl 40 said...

I don't get the donuts thing either - would much rather have a yummy bagel. (well, most of the time, unless the donut is chocolate covered and creme filled).

Annn said...

I tried to leave early enough this morning to pick up bagels. Needless to say I didn't pull it off.

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

My ex boss once said bagels have more calories than a donut. But that was just her excuse to bring donuts instaed of bagels:)