Thursday, October 18, 2007

Doin' the Du

So I've officially committed (and even registered) for a duathlon in November. That crazy girl Annnn talked me into it. As usual, I'm swayed by the social aspects. We're driving down to Smithfield Friday afternoon for packet pickup, staying overnight, and doin' the du Saturday morning. Thank goodness the race begins at a civilized 9:30 a.m. as I suspect wine consumption will play a large role in my Friday night pre-race preparation.

I've never done a du before so I need to practice running before cycling. And it wouldn't hurt to do a brick or two between now and then. Committing two weeks before the race doesn't leave a lot of time for preparation, but what the hell. That's one week of training and one week of tapering, right?

My running has been abysmally slow lately. I've been attributing the slow times to running/chatting with the Bean, and Monday's slow run on chatting with Jon, but the truth of the matter is I'm just not fast right now (not that I've ever been particularly speedy). I ran by myself today with my iPod blaring and only posted a dismal 9:46 min/mile for four miles. What to blame, what to blame? I don't know, maybe my pre-Halloween Reeese's cup eating fat ass and my mental readiness for the off season?

But no matter. I'm doing the race for the experience and for fun, and mostly to hang out and suffer the abuse that is time with Annnn.

What better way to end the season?

(And this really is it. Really. I know I said that after Luray and again after Giant Acorn, but I mean it this time!!!)

5 comments:

Annn said...

You know I don't drink, right?

Unknown said...

Theres this race on 12/25...big party afterwards with a "who's who" of Tri's in attendence. You going? :-)

TriGirl 40 said...

LOL, Annnn.

Glad you guys are doing the Du!

Anonymous said...

Fun! Wish I could join!I might be able to handle 6 miles of running if it's split up by 25 miles of biking in the middle. And remember, no more than 2 glasses of wine the night before. JenniferS

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Your times always kick mine from here to next week, I'm starting to think that I should include wine in MY pre-race prep!