Friday, October 5, 2007

Race Prep

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of triathlon experience. I've participated in two sprints and one Olympic over the last year. My goals in all three events were to (1) finish, (2) post a reasonably decent time, and (3) enjoy the experience.

For the sprint I'm doing tomorrow, I find that I have a little bit higher expectations of myself. I want to race the event as opposed to just participate. I want to see how hard I can push myself and whether I can turn in a performance to be proud of. Here's what I'm thinking for each area:

The Swim
Okay after all my big talk above, I'll be honest here. I just want it to be over with. I want to get through it without having a panic attack like I did in my first open water swim at Luray. It was dumb to experience my very first open water swim ever in a race. Especially an Olympic distance race. Since then, I've practiced in open water three times. I didn't enjoy it, but I am certainly more comfortable.

What is it with race descriptions that describe the water as "crystal clear" anyway? Bull shit. No lake or river water I've seen has been crystal clear. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. And I certainly couldn't see the person beside me. I'd like to give whoever writes this crap a glass of "crystal clear" lake water to drink and see how their description changes. Evian this isn't.

Okay, rant over.

Swim goal: Predominantly swim freestyle, efficient stroke, sight well, get it done.

Transitions
I completely suck at transitions. In the time I take to meander my way from one event to the next, someone else could finish her run. In past events, I've used transitions as a place to calm down, get my bearings, take a shower, eat a meal, whatever. Tomorrow, I want to be better organized pre-race so I can blast through transition with all engines humming.

The Bike
This is a very new feeling, but I love the bike. This has been "the year of the bike," and I have gained confidence riding it. Never have I had a bike ride that truly sucked (unlike some - okay many - runs). My biggest concern here - assuming that the wild dogs will be contained by the time I ride by - is that I will have another flat tire like I did at Luray. You might think flatting in a race would motivate me to learn to change a flat. In fact I've only talked about it. Many times. Which gives me no credit or experience in actually changing a flat.

I really like this course. It offers some small rolling hills for variety and beautiful views. I've ridden it twice and am comfortable with the route. My bike is newly-tweaked and ready to be ridden. I want to smoke this bike course.

Bike goal: 19 mph average speed or faster

I will have to pump my little brains out to achieve that... but I want it badly and I'm going to try.

The Run
Here's the wild card where I either make my race... or blow my race. Sometimes, I run well. Many times when I'm trying to run fast, it feels horrible and I just want to stop. My best bet on the run is to relax, concentrate on form, and run smooth. Let the time come. We'll see if I can remember that tomorrow.

Run goal: Under 8 1/2 min/mi

There you go sports fans. I've admitted to my goals; now I need to make them reality.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If it helps you any (might be too late now and throw you off) you might want to consider this http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=11178&subcategory_ID=5412 and get co2. Small and fast, no tube changing be on your way. Now, I'd change tubes and clean up the goo when you get home, but...well its a thought.

Good luck! Can't wait for the report!

TriGirl 40 said...

The Big Nut really is a great course. The swim is nicer than many other local waters - and you already know about the awesome bike course. You are an amzing runner. I'll be cheering you on tomorrow while we are riding and practicing aid station stops for IMFL! And crossing my fingers for all goals met! Crack that Big Nut!