Saturday, March 3, 2007

TriGirl Weekend

I've had a TriGirl weekend so far. Last night, we had a Silpada party to raise money for Not With These Hands, followed by a talk on race nutrition/hydration by Dr. Stadler, then dinner with the girls. Dr. Stadler's talk was great and really helped me a lot since I experienced over-hydration at the Army 10 miler last fall. She said hydration and salt supplementation is really an issue when exercising for long periods of time, but perhaps I experienced it on a shorter run since I never eat salt. Her recommendation was Gatorade Endurance, and I will immediately go buy some.

Grandison got us all really cute white short sleeved tee shirts with the TriGirl logo. They run super small, so I snagged one for Rainbow! Sad that an adult size small fits my five year old. But lucky for me, and she loves it!

Dinner at Chadar Thai restaurant was also a lot of fun. I met some new TriGirls and got to catch up with some others. We had multiple tables. My lovely dining companions were Jonah, Melissa, Jennifer, and Annnnn. So cute!

This morning, I had a bike fitting at Maramarc so I decided that if I was going down there anyway, I may as well join the girls for some of their Saturday morning fitness. The Ironman training group and a remarkable number of others bike for an hour then run. I made pancakes for my kiddies this morning then met the group just for the run. Most of the group ran 8 - 10 miles; I ran 7. And the last mile of that 7 was hard! Thank goodness I met up with SanDee and Theresa at the end or I might have walked it in. Yikes! According to the Garmin, which I don't necessarily trust since it kept beeping with a weak signal alert, I ran 7.08 miles at 9:34 minutes/mile average. I suspect I was all over the place on time per mile and definitely did not run negative splits. Mini rant - how can the Garmin have a weak signal on a gorgous sunny day with open sky??? My love-hate relationship with it continues.

The bike fitting was great. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my bike configuration was already pretty good. Coaches Mark and Ed made a few minor adjustments. I am very surprised that more wasn't needed since my husband bought the bike for me and I've never had it fitted. Mark says I'm ready to race - if only a bike fitting could do all that! ha ha
Then more TriGirl fun - TriGirl Melissa and her friend Melissa (no, that's not a typo) threw themselves a birthday bash/ fundraiser for Comfort Zone Camp this afternoon. The kids and I did a little bowling with a fun group for a good cause. Taz and Rainbow had a blast. Coach G was there with her adorable family, and I met TriGirls Cathy and Prissie. I have to admit that Rainbow, my five year old, smoked me at bowling. And I did rely on the bumpers a few times! Bowling is not my sport but it is fun. Even without cocktails...

I'd love to go on the informal TriGirl bike ride tomorrow morning but fear that I pushed my luck too far by being gone so long this morning. Plus, we have our scheduled swim workout tomorrow night that I'm going to attend. There are a lot of FAST new TriGirls who will be there tomorrow night, like my friends Jackie, Jennifer, and Caroline, so I will get bumped down to a slower lane.

Ah, the joy of TriGirl time! I kind of feel like Carmen must feel on a regular basis.

No comments: