Monday, March 5, 2007

Book Review

The last three books I've read have been outstanding. I wouldn't wish two months of consecutive viruses on anyone, but if you do have the opportunity to catch up on your reading, I highly recommend any of the following.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, which was my book club selection last month, is a memoir. The author, along with her brother and two sister, were raised in abject poverty by her very unconventional parents. Their living conditions were absolutely unbelievable, and her subsequent success as an author quite remarkable. She never writes of her parents with anything but love, and the book is quite funny even when describing horrifying situations or events. It reminds me a little of Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, although The Glass Castle occurs in the United States. Reading it made me want to do something to improve the poverty and starvation existing within our own country. I'm even happier than I was previously that TriGirls are supporting a women's shelter with food and necessities this year. (Wow, there is a triathlon link to this particular blog post after all!) This book got 4 1/2 stars on Amazon.com.

The next book is The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I was hesitant to start it because the topic disturbed me. A doctor delivers his wife's baby when they get caught in a snow storm and is surprised when she delivers twins. He recognizes the signs of Down's Syndrome in the second child and sends her away with the nurse, telling his wife she was stillborn. The book follows the doctor's family, including the twin son, and the dysfunctional relationships that result from his decision as well as what happens to the daughter he sent away. The children are born in the 60s, as was I, so it is interesting to read about the events of the times that shaped their lives, particularly the "father knows best" mentality of a 50s upbringing that contributed to the doctor's decision. Each chapter is written from a different perspective, so you experience each character's perception of his/her life. Amazon gives this book 3 1/2 stars.

The last book in my little informal review today is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. The main character is a boy who grows up in Afghanistan then flees to the United States with his father when the Russians invade. The book opens by alluding to an event that occurred when he was twelve that shaped his life from that point forward, leads up to that event, and beyond. The author weaves personal events, tragedy, historical and current events into a story I couldn't put down. This was Hosseini's debut novel and I can't wait to read his next one. It is called A Thousand Splendid Suns and is expected in May. Hopefully, he will some day write a sequel to The Kite Runner because I'd love to know what happens to the main characters beyond the ending. Don't read the Publisher's Weekly review on Amazon if you are going to read this book - the plot summary reveals way too much in my opinion. It did get 4 1/2 well-deserved stars.
So now I need a new book. Any suggestions?

No comments: