Thursday, March 22, 2007

10k

I've had a secret goal time in mind for the Monument 10k on March 31 that I've only admited to one other person. And it's 52 minutes.

I'm telling you now only because... I ran 10k in 51:09 this morning.

I'm so excited! That's 8:11 minute/mile average.

In typical me fashion, I have to point out that I don't trust my Garmin. It has deceived me before. And I don't know the distance for certain because I ran a different route than usual today to get all six miles in without having to run past my house (thereby avoiding any potential temptation to stop). If I didn't run 6.2, I came pretty close because I added a loop to a 5 1/2 mile run that I've done and tracked a lot. I'm going to try to put my negative self-talk aside and just let myself be happy with my performance for a change.

I felt great today. I actually set out to do my usual 5 mile loop, decided on a different, slightly longer route about a mile in, then decided at about mile 3 that I should do a whole 10k at least once before the event. Usually, my mind works the other way, trying to convince my body to go shorter. I wonder what causes days like today and how I can experience more of them?

I didn't pay any attention to my Garmin until the four mile point because I was just feeling good and enjoying my run. I was breathing and trying hard and all - just having fun with it. I was shocked to see my time at that point which was actually sub-8:00/mile and although I tried to maintain that pace for the remaining 2.2, I was getting tired, hungry, and thirsty. Also surprised, happy, and determined to keep going!

Fortunately I will have the chance to do it again on the Monument course in about nine days. We'll see whether today's time was a fluke or not.

I can't wait!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

holy running, batman! that's awesome, di! did you borrow blake's auto pilot from his trainer for your sneakers?! haha

TriGirl 40 said...

Wow - that is fast - and amazing! Can I borrow Blake's auto pilot, too? Or your sneaker? Your TRIgirl teammates must be very excited...

Anonymous said...

What an awesome time!! Glad you had such a great run. I am so happy you are on my Monument Ave 10k team. :)

DL