Monday, March 19, 2007

Good Deeds

My babies are so amazing. Just in case you think I may be a wee bit biased, judge for yourself!

On Saturday, they played games with the residents of a nearby nursing home with Taz's Cub Scout troup. In December, we sang Christmas carols at this same nursing home, and the kids and residents remembered each other. Rainbow was the first child to charge the crowd, armed with her Scrabble Junior board and a big smile. She and Taz played with a couple who were so cute. We met the husband over the holidays, but his wife had been too sick to participate that night so they were very happy to meet her. The kids had a blast and wanted to know if they could go back every day.

Afterwards, we went to get haircuts. Rainbow has been growing her hair "as long as Rapunzel's" to donate to Locks of Love. Saturday was the day! I thought she might get upset or change her mind when scissors neared her head, but she was excited. Taz was very encouraging. Rainbow spent the remainder of the weekend brushing and styling her hair. She looked particularly cute with two tiny little pigtails sticking out of her head. Alas, peer pressure starts young and she worried that the kids in her kindergarten class would make fun of her. I told her that her friends all like her for what's on the inside, not her hair, but she didn't really grasp (or buy into) that concept. Then I told her she can always grow it back out. Finally, I asked her how she thought the kids felt who have to go to school with no hair. We talked about how much happier one little girl is going to be, getting to go to school with a wig made from Rainbow's beautiful hair. She was very proud and happy when she thought about it that way. She does have gorgous hair - white blond, curly, and thick. It will make a beautiful wig.

Their good deeds continued on Sunday. They helped TriGirls Melissa, Andi and me make dinner for the Safe Harbor Shelter which assists victims of domestic violence. We talked about how some parents can be bad people, and that this shelter helps the mommies and children find a better life. They made brownies, chocolate chip and (extremely coated) sugar cookies, while Melissa, Andi and I made Herb Mustard Breast of Chicken (thanks, Oprah!). We made extra for ourselves but I haven't tried it yet. It smelled wonderful! I can confirm that the cookies and brownies are tasty!

After all this sitting, my active babies needed to burn off some energy! Rainbow road her bike and Taz, his skateboard, to a nearby playground. They spent almost the entire time running around, picking up trash. I asked them several times if they'd prefer to play, but they told me they were helping the earth by picking up litter. I can't argue with that!
I'm so proud of my babies.
Now if only I could get them (mainly Taz) to sleep through the night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great Mom you are Diane! It takes gentle encouragement to introduce kids to these wonderful kind deeds.