Thursday, March 8, 2007

Enough Already

I'm going to stop whining and complaining about my petty little issues now, after several recent blogs on various subjects. Really, I am! (Well, okay, for a little while anyway.)

I've had several reminders that my silly flu or upper respiratory infection or three pounds or thirteen pounds are in fact trivial, particularly when compared to people with real issues.

Saturday, my friend Jodi lost her father to cancer. Doctors had only discovered the cancer two and a half short weeks earlier. I met Jodi and her family when we were in seventh grade and remember her father fondly as a friendly, funny teddy bear of a man. The last time I saw him was in his home in Toronto about 12 years ago. He was mixing drinks and teasing me about my southern accent like old times. (Well, okay, in 7th grade he only mixed us Kool Aid!) He touched and brightened many lives during his lifetime and he will be dearly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with Jodi and her family.

Then yesterday, I discovered Siren's blog. Not only is she wickedly funny, she has transformed herself into a triathlete by overcoming serious obstacles. Her recent post called "A New Day" is inspirational. Check it out.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate everyone's support of my "issues." I truly do. It just means that I'm going to pull my head out of my ass occasionally and recognize that they are trivial in the overall scheme of things.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

I am sorry to hear about Jodi's loss. Keeping things in perspective is always good - but sometimes hard - I've fallen victim to a pity party or two myself lately!