Sunday, December 2, 2007

Happy Anniversary, Baby

Scouter and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary today. It's hard to believe. I have officially known him for longer than I haven't. Yeah, that's it, we were mere babies when we married.

In hindsight, we really were incredibly young although no one could tell us that at the time. I was 23 and he was 24. We dated for 2 1/2 years before we married and were very good friends for a year prior to that. We are so fortunate that we have grown up together instead of growing apart.

Quick side note: Why is it that sporting a "41" on my calf doesn't faze me - in fact, I'm kind of proud to be out there competing as a newby to the sport of triathlon in my 40s - but saying I've been married 18 years makes me feel old?

Anyway... to celebrate, we went to Wintergreen for an overnight trip. We rented a cozy little condo with a wood burning fireplace which was lovely. We watched the Tech game (ACC Champions - woo hoo!!!) and had a very nice dinner at the Devil's Knob grill, complete with shared desserts of lemon custard and cappuccino creme brule. You can tell we've known each other forever. When I passed on dessert, Scouter selected and ordered one for me because he knew I wouldn't be able to resist a bite - or two or three - of his. The kids were very supportive, telling us "happy anniversary" and "have fun" multiple times.

It was nice to get away and spend some alone-time together. And it was nice to come home to the life we have created, together.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I hope you had fun, you missed a cold-a$$ bikeride! :-)

TriGirl 40 said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! What a sweet post! Let's get together for a weekend bike soon...

Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary! What a special time for you and your family - Love you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

REB60 said...

Happy anniversary! By the way, 18 years is nothing. MK and I are hitting 20 this year.