Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sleepovers and Growing Up

Last night, we attended a dinner with our relatively new supper club. Anyone who reads about my social activities will not be surprised that it is comprised of Beanie, Cate, Beth, me and families. We had the first event in October and another last night at Cate's house.

Cate completely outdid herself. We started the evening with delicious cranberry mint margaritas and shrimp dip, followed by a fabulous dinner of beef tenderloin with marsala wine sauce, rice, salad, and monkey bread with roasted garlic. Yum! Dessert, which was my task, kind of sucked. I made lemon bars and they really didn't turn out very well. Scouter tasted one, turned to me and said, "Did you try to make these healthy or something?" I didn't - they just weren't very good.

Anyway... as the eight adults were drinking and eating with wild abandon, the eight kids were playing hard. They kept calling us upstairs to see their performances. In one, Rainbow and Bean's daughter did a tango complete with dips and spins. In another, Rainbow, Bean's daughter and Cate's daughter did a little skit which included a planned Taz fly-by. He zipped into the scene, scooped Cate's five year old daughter up in his arms, looked at the audience and said, "I really don't like this part" right before he planted a big kiss right on her lips! They both giggled and fled the scene. Too funny.

The big girls, at age 11, were chatting and plotting a sleepover for that night which the little guys overheard. They immediately jumped on the bandwagon and started begging for a sleepover. Taz has had one sleepover and while it went well, I have not encouraged others as he rarely makes it through the night without waking me at least once. But last night, we finally agreed to leave Rainbow at Cate's for her first sleepover ever, and we brought Cate's son home with us. It went well and they were thrilled. It seems so grown up to me though and I don't know that I'm ready for this stage. I missed my baby girl this morning.

Tonight, she wants to have a sleepover with me. Hopefully they are still my babies for a little while longer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I laughed in my cube when I read "did you make this healthy or something?" HAHAHAHA