Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Wake Up!

I awoke at 5:17 this morning - a mere 3 minutes before my alarm was slated to ring. Yikes! Who knew it was so dark this early in the middle of June?

I was testing out my newly constructed summer training schedule which today included meeting Richard at 6 a.m. for a ride. I had all my stuff ready to go and actually arrived a few minutes early (much to his - and my - surprise). The sun was hanging low over the horizon. We actually heard a rooster crow around mile 3. The cool early morning quickly became quite humid as we started moving.

We rode Pouncey Tract (although I don't think it keeps that name) all the way to the end at a little town which I'd never heard of and whose name I don't recall. It is amazing how rural Richmond is once you get just a tiny bit out of town. We did see construction for a new subdivision starting at $700k so apparently it is desirable.

We hit very little traffic for the first 15 miles but it picked up quite a bit around 7 a.m. when we turned to head back into the big city. I sounded like a broken record saying "car back" over and over. (And, ah, note to Richard: When I'm screaming "CAR!!!" at the top of my lungs, get your ass over to the side of the road!) Cars were infrequent enough to require the warning but frequent enough to be annoying. I'm pretty sure they thought the same thing about us!

We finished up with a fast ride down Pouncey Tract towards the Shady Grove Y which was a blast. Our total distance was 29.5 miles, average speed 16.8 mph.

I had thrown my running shoes in the car for the hell of it and surprised myself by actually lacing them up and running three miles after our bike. Guess that pressure Annnn's putting on me to perform in our relay for the sprint tri is paying off... Splits were 9:30, 8:55, and 8:52 for a 9:05 average.

Wow, 2 1/2 hours of exercise by 8:30 a.m. - as Fave recently posted, I'm done for the day! When's nap time?

4 comments:

REB60 said...

You must have been pretty far back when you were screaming CAR!! I never heard you. :0)

Annn said...

Annnnn already thinks you are a rockstar runner. She worries that she will be the weakest link.

Jenn said...

Can I join you on one of these morning rides?

Melissa said...

d-i am totally impressed!!! you are rocking it!