Saturday, September 1, 2007

Take Down, Baby

Today, Richard, Kermit and I rode the RABA Coatesville route. It is 55 miles of fun (actually, I clocked it at 56.3).

Our first challenge was Fire Training Hill, so called because... well actually I have no idea. It wasn't too bad. But then, it was early. Our next challenge had me a little more concerned - the Three Sisters. Prior to today, I have only walked sister #1. Twice.

As we approached them, Richard told me no one was walking today. I told him I'd do my best. The first hill is particularly tough because you hit it after a nice downhill, thinking you have time to gear down - but it is so steep so quickly that you don't. I geared down at the right time and - are you ready? - actually rode up it this time!!!! Yippee!!!! Take that, bitch!

The other two are bitches just like the first but not quite as steep, so I actually rode the whole time today. The Three Sisters still spanked me, but this time I took it sitting down.

We took a nice break at the 30 mile point. As we continued on, we talked about how great a 25 mile ride is. Our third and final hill challenge, Horseshoe Road, kicked in at mile 40 - just as my legs were really tired. This hill is not as steep as the Three Sisters but it goes on forever. I dropped my chain mid-way up, but I cursed and pedaled like hell and was able to pop it back on without stopping. I'm not sure which was more effective - the pedalling or the cursing.

The last 15 miles had a few rolling hills but nothing else too bad. At about mile 50, Richard told Kermit at me that we weren't going to race in like we usually do. Then about a minute later, he took off. We called him a few names then raced to catch up.

Otherwise, Richard is a great ride leader. He kept us at a reasonable pace, averaging 16.2 mph for the entire ride.

Now I wonder how that 56 mile ride would feel preceded by a nice little 1.2 mile swim and followed by a leisurely 13.1 mile run?

2 comments:

REB60 said...

Actually, it's called Fire Training Hill, because of the huge State Fire Training facility right next to it. I guess you weren't taking in the sites? :-)

TriGirl 40 said...

That 56 mile ride would feel great preceded by a swim and followed by a run! (Once you were done, anyway.) Congrats on conquering the Three Sisters!