Sunday, September 23, 2007

Workout Week in Review

Lest you think I'm a total slacker, this week any way I did fairly well on my workout routine.

Monday: Weights - realized my legs felt like tree trunks after two days of cycling at HoVA and skimped quite a bit on the leg exercises.
Tuesday: Ran 4 miles, 10:31 minutes/mile average speed.
Wednesday: Unscheduled rest day. My legs needed a break!
Thursday: Ran 5 miles, 8:40 minutes/mile average pace, felt great.
Friday: Swam (shocker!) - I only had a half hour to swim so I swam a half hour plus a quick cool down - 1400 meters.
Saturday: Biked 23 miles with Kathryn, 17.4 mph average.
Sunday: Biked 28 miles and swam maybe 800 meters on a Big Nut course preview.

Today was so fun! Jennifer S coordinated a preview swim and ride in preparation for the Giant Acorn sprint triathlon in October. Annnn and I planned to ride extra, so we biked 8 miles to the marina and met Jennifer, Caroline, Lesley, and Jennihoo there. Unfortunately, something in Annn's knee wasn't happy with the ride so she made the wise call to stop riding and go home to ice her knee instead.

The rest of the group rode the 12 mile race route followed by a short swim in Lake Anna. I love the bike course - very scenic and fun. The water - not so much. Open water is not my thing. It was cold at first but comfortable once we started moving. There was a lot of boat and jet ski traffic so we opted to stay in the designated swim area instead of venturing farther into the lake to swim the tri course. Still, poor Jennihoo had a too-close-for-comfort encounter with a jet ski. Here we are post-ride and pre-swim (thanks to the nice guy who was just trying to get his boat in the water for snapping our photo):

Caroline, Jennifer, me, Lesley, Jennihoo

(we missed you, Annnn)

Jennifer and I wanted to bike a few more miles, so we rode another 8 after the swim. It was a good simulation of race conditions to ride in our wet tri suits. Other than the scary doberman/ rottweiler looking dogs that chased us every single time we rode by a particular house, we had a great ride. Fortunately, the dogs were startled by my mean voice and we were able to pass by three times unscathed. I hope they are inside on race day!

Thanks JS! I'm looking forward to the event and want to light that course up!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're like the anti-dog whisperer on bike rides! I've been a sloth.

Anonymous said...

It was very fun! Let's do it again tomorrow! JenniferS

Anonymous said...

The two satan dogs scared the @!#$ out of me today. By the time I get to that house on race day, both dogs should have had their fill of faster triathletes.