Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Jennifer and Diane's Excellent Adventure

Jennifer S. suggested that we spend the day on her boat today while the kids were in school. Sweet! A little play time sounded great to me.

Since we were going to be at Lake Anna, the site of our upcoming sprint triathlon, we decided to ride the bike course while we were there.

And what the hell, we may as well get in a little open water swim practice.

While we're at it, what's the run course like?

So we staged our own sprint tri in our preferred order. It was cool out this morning so we started on the bike. I was happy to have arm warmers, just purchased yesterday in preparation for a chilly weekend ride. The 12 mile route was absolutely beautiful. There are some rolling hills crossing Lake Anna and the rivers that feed it multiple times. Traffic was light and the roads were smooth. It has to be one of my all-time favorite routes. With my broad experience, you know.

Jennifer's protests aside, we followed up the great ride with a three mile run. Also pretty flat and nicely shaded.

By then, the day had warmed up and we were ready to get in the lake. We were pleasantly surprised to find the temperature to be comfortable. Tracking the route was a little harder in the water but unless the swim goes through the North Anna Power Station dam, I'm pretty sure we swam at least 750 meters.

About half way through the swim, I told J. I was ready for a drink. And I wasn't talking about Accelerade.

Shortly thereafter, she obliged with cocktails and lunch on her fun pontoon boat. We anchored in a cove and chatted the rest of the afternoon away.

It was a most excellent day.

And BTW, any TriGirls that want to join us for a course preview, check the forum for Jennifer's post. It'll be fun!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've actually been trying to get my butt down there to practice the ride. Glad that its nice, i was worried about the road conditions. Sad that I haven't gotten there, since my grandmother lives across from lake anna.

Melissa said...

all this while i sat here at work!? sigh. i'm jealous. how much longer until retirement?!

Anonymous said...

I'm ready to do the whole thing over tomorrow, how about you? JenniferS

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

That sounds like a blast!

jane said...

Hi Diane,
I am so glad I found your blog. I find it very inspiring. I just recently decided to do a sprint triathlon. Like, you, it is unlike anything I've done. I just taught myself to swim last summer, I don't own a bike, and I am a pathetic distance runner (I was a sprinter in college, but that doesn't do much good in a 5k). I haven't workout out since before I had my daughter, 18 months ago. I am wondering if you could tell me anything about the Kinetic Sprint at Lake Anna in April. Is it ok for a first timer? I am scared of the rolling hills for the bike and run course. I do hear it is beautiful. Would you consider it a difficult sprint course? Thanks for your help!
Jane
Alexandria, VA