Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Blah

I've been in a funk lately and I can't seem to shake it.

The root cause of it is that I'm at a contract transition point with my IT consulting job. This engagement is ending and the next one is unknown. I'm feeling a lot of pressure to ensure paycheck continuity, yet the person who arranges my engagements is leaving the consulting firm I'm with. What happens to me? I don't know, but I fear I will be forgotten in the shuffle.

There are a lot of things I like about consulting mainly related to quality of life. I'm not sure any of them outweigh the risk of being "on the bench" without a job for an unknown period of time, potentially at frequent intervals.

Compounding the situation is the fact that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I was forced into this field and soon became entrapped by the salary it commands. But am I passionate about it? Some of it, yes. Much of it, no. The last job I truly enjoyed was over ten years ago. I've lost a lot of skills and confidence since then.

I'd really like to go back to school and earn a Masters degree. The program I like is expensive however which brings me right back to the issue of how I'm going to earn a living in the immediate future. And adds the issue of how I will find the time for a graduate program while working full time, raising a family, and trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Sigh. It sucks being an adult.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We must talk! I earned from doctorate while working full-time. It can be done - it just took awhile (6 years).
You can do anything you put your mind to do.

sq

Jenn said...

I'm going to school at night in addition to working FT, training, and trying to renovate our new house. Grant it I don't have kids, but if I can juggle this stuff, so can you! If it's going to ultimately make you happy then go for it!!!!

Unknown said...

It is tough to figure out if its worth it if you don't know what you want to be when you grow up. I don't know either and need to figure it out.

REB60 said...

I know it's tough. Hang in there. You are one of the smartest people I've ever worked with, and you have great instincts. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Enough cliches?

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

I am thinking about going back to school too. It is a little scary, but if it gets you where you want to be, then you should go for it. Even if it takes a little while longer so you don't lose too much time with the kids. You don't want to look back and regret not doing it.