Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Off season... where are you?

This comic is Frazz. Check here for others. Sadly, they're not all triathlon related but they are all pretty funny.

Last year, I didn't comprehend the off season. I had just joined TriGirls in August and participated in my first triathlon in October. I was hooked! Unfortunately my timing was bad as the October tri was the last of the season. I ran an 8k in November but I was pumped to swim and bike too.

Grandison was trying to welcome the off season, but some other TriGirls and I begged for more workouts. We started doing indoor cycling at Maramarc and Som added a Jan/Feb swim session for us. I was all over it.

This year... yeah, not so much. I'm so ready for the off season. So much so that I've been kicking myself for signing up for an October race. (Although I admit that I was convinced by the social aspects. I have no actual interest in the race, particularly the open water swim. I'm guessing the water will be a tad chilly in October.)

Am I allowed to say that I'm looking forward to not swimming in the off season if I haven't been swimming hardly at all during the season? How about this - I'm looking forward to not swimming without feeling guilty about it. That's more accurate.

I definitely want to stay on the bike this off season because I saw gains from my work last winter. Well, either that or the equipment upgrades I made to clipless pedals and aerobars improved my speed. I'm hoping to keep riding on Saturdays with Richard, Kermit, and/or TriGirls and have invested in some cold weather cycling gear. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to do classes at Maramarc this year. It was tough to leave my kids on week nights, sticking Scouter with all the homework and bedtime solo. But maybe I can fit in a spin class at the Y every week.

I've missed weight training and yoga so I'm eager to add those back into my schedule on a more consistent basis. And running has been a constant for a few years, so that will stay.

Ahh, the off season. It can't come soon enough this year.

1 comment:

Annn said...

HA HA HA HA Off-Season. That is a riot!