Sunday, September 16, 2007

HoVA and the Blustery Day(s)

"It's very windy outside!" observed Pooh.

"Must be the remnants of Hurricane Humberto blowing through," said Christopher Robin wisely.

"Then let's go for a bike ride!!!!" suggested Tigger. "It'll be FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN!"

"But it's cold. And I'm slow. I don't like distance or hills," complained Eyeore as he set off on his bike.

Rabbit said, "No no no! I won't go!"

Piglet looked horrified. "A b-b-bike ride? B-b-but it's very very w-w-windy. And w-w-we just rode yesterday. I'm t-t-tired. My b-b-body hurts today. And it's c-c-cold. Let's r-r-rest instead."

"But Piglet," said Pooh. "Remember there was honey at the end of the ride yesterday?"

"Ok-k-kay Pooh. I'll do this for you," Piglet replied sadly, resigned to the inevitable.

Just in case you're wondering about the cast in my stylish reinterpretation of Pooh's little drama, I would be Piglet. Richard is Tigger, and Kermit is Eyeore. Scouter is Rabbit.

So yesterday I rode my first official metric century with Richard, Kermit and my brother-in-law Brent. The rain was supposed to end by midnight but we drove through some black clouds and rain on our way to the starting point in Ashland. We procrastinated a bit through registration and preparations until Richard finally asked Brent and me if we were getting ready for the prom.

I should have blogged about it yesterday because all I really remember today is that it was long. And that the turkey sandwich I had at the lunch stop was wonderful, especially the Hanover tomato. And that the Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream I had at the finish was the best thing I ever tasted. I'll have to buy some - but I have to wonder if it could ever be as good again.

I do have stats: for the first half we averaged a smoking 17.4 mph, and 17.1 mph for the total 62.5 miles. (I had to get that 1/2 mile in there! It was a looooong 1/2 mile!)

When I arrived home, my house was empty so I quickly showered, ate, and hit the couch for a little nap. Which was a mistake because I was groggy for the rest of the day.

Knowing that today's 40 mile route included the Three Sisters (my nemesis - however one might make that word plural) and Horseshoe Hill, I was inclined to ride the 25 mile route today. Then I found out that the 25 mile route was actually 32 and included the Three Sisters. What the heck, may as well do 40. As if I really had a choice - Richard was determined to do 40 all along.

Today's enterprising riders included Kermit, Richard, TriGirls Megan and Annnn. I just may have backed out today if Megan and Annnn hadn't been joining us. Me and my big mouth.




I couldn't get my bike computer to work today for some reason so I have no statistics. Apparently it doesn't like riding two days in a row either! I do know that everyone else's computer said 42 to 42. 6 miles.

We started out easy, winding across the railroad tracks and through a neighborhood. We warned Megan and Annnn about the three sisters and how they lure you into the wrong gear on a nice downhill then slam you into the ground with an abrupt steep uphill. It's like hitting a wall if you're in a high chain ring.

I made it almost all the way up the first hill when my chain fell off. Fortunately, it wasn't very steep at that point so I was able to pull it back on and keep riding. Yes!!! I'm two for four in riding these hills instead of walking.

After taking on all three, we re-grouped. "Wow, that was a great warm up for the Three Sisters," I said to Megan.

"Wha-" Her eyes got huge. I'm not sure whether she wanted to hit me or hug me when I told her I was kidding.

The next few miles were reasonably uneventful. We passed a few historic sights which were open with tours for the ride, but we declined stopping. I'm a fan of stopping and all - it's just starting again that gives me problems.

Finally we hit the rest stop with (yes!) a bathroom and delicious homemade pumpkin bread. I ate my way through the stop until Richard forced me back on my bike. I knew Horseshoe Hill was up soon, and it didn't disappoint. It's not a steep hill; it just doesn't know how to end. It is long slow agony especially since I've only hit it late in any given ride.

At the end of Horseshoe, I remembered the aspirin I'd packed today since I was in desperate need of it yesterday. I slammed two down with my warm water and kept spinning, with thoughts of my good friends Ben & Jerry waiting for me at the finish.

We hit a section of rolling hills, then turned towards our cars - 104 miles in 27 hours. Annn suggested another 20 miles but when we all passed, she poured us each a Guinness instead. I'm not a beer drinker but that tasted awfully good. And ice cream afterwards was fine. Today's selection was Banana Split. Yum.

Almost made it all worthwhile.

No seriously, it was a lot of fun and I'm really glad I did it. Both days.

5 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Awesome job to you and all the Pooh cast! Two days of great riding! And I can atest to the blusterly wind. Congrats!!!!

Annn said...

I love you and your big mouth!

Thanks for a fun ride!

Cyndi said...

Great job, Diane!! And the wind was CRAZY wasn't it? You've got to let me know the portion of the route that is the Three Sisters. Was it on the century? 'Cause I'm thinking there were a lot more than three of those sisters! CONGRATS!!!

Cyndi :)

PS - I had the Banana Split, too! Yummy!!!!

Unknown said...

I wish I could've joined you....love the pictures, too!

SusieQ

Jon said...

What a fun ride. Almost makes me want to take up riding...Well, maybe I'll just stick with running.