Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Yikes

I way overestimated my abilities when I changed my swim time for the upcoming Shady Grove Sprint Tri last week.

My thought process was this: If I can swim a mile with an average 50 pace of 1:04, then I must be sandbagging my 50s and 100s. I speculated that I could swim 300 meters in 5:48 based on 58 seconds per 50. Then I thought, everyone else is underestimating their pace as well, so for some reason that escapes me now, I changed my time from a comfortable 6:00 minutes to 5:36.

Yikes.

To test my theory, I swam three timed 100s today ~ 1:57, 2:02, and 1:58 respectively. Which totals 5:57. Which is nowhere close to 5:36.

Maybe adrenaline will take over and nerves will carry me through. Or maybe no one will notice if I wear flippers.

Yikes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hard to say, with the adrenaline of race day you should swim faster, but then you will be swimming the 300 straight, which should slow your time a little versus 3x100's. But I think you can feel comfortable knowing that others will be getting their race time wrong as well, and just be nice and let those pass that tap your feet. Its only 6 minutes out of the race!

Melissa said...

you can totally do it! think of your rhythm and next thing you know you will be toodling around on your bike! (at least i hope that's how it works!)

Anonymous said...

You'll do just fine - I know it. :)

SusieQ