Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Miscellany

Note to any potential readers out there: "Miscellany" is the title I use when I've got absolutely nothing to say but feel compelled to blog anyway.

Sorry about that.

Perhaps it will become code for "skip this post - it's completely worthless."

So anyway I'm in the midst of a pretty decent week. Last week, I was all stressed out and worked up for absolutely no reason and I was making everything far more difficult than it needed to be. My theory is that I was getting overwhelmed at work - one person just cannot manage six simultaneous projects without letting things fall through the cracks - until I finally realized that it just isn't worth it. I can only do what I can do, then I have to leave it behind when I walk out the door. Nothing new, but I needed a reminder.

I also think that losing my sweet little doggie gave me yet another painful reminder to live in the moment and enjoy life. Could someone tattoo that on my forehead please?

My workouts this week have been good, after big fat rest days on Saturday and Sunday. Monday, I was downtown for meetings with a chunk of time in the middle - too little time to return to the office or make it to the Y, but too much time to just hang out. Fortunately, I had my gym bag in the car so I was able to borrow an out-of-town co-worker's room key to access the fitness center at the Jefferson. I love the Jefferson. The fitness room was large by hotel standards and had the basics I needed. I did the elliptical for 20 minutes to warm up, then did some machines and free weights. I always hurt myself when I work out on my own and really should do it more. My tendency is to skip body parts like shoulders and arms but I even did those. My legs, upper back, and biceps were sore the next day in a good way. As Melissa said (more eloquently) last week, there's nothing quite like being a little sore from a good hard workout.

Yesterday, I ran in the morning. Usually Tuesdays are my runs with the Bean which I love but she couldn't make it yesterday. I ran five miles with my iPod for company - 8:48 minutes/mile average, negative split. Then I went to a spin class at lunchtime. I like doing some indoor cycling in conjunction with getting outside. I think it improves my strength on the bike. And let's face it, I'll take any improvement on the bike even if it's a mental trick I play on myself.

Today I swam! I'm always shocked when I plan to swim and actually do it. This morning, I was very tempted to hop back in bed after the school bus picked up my babies. Good thing I had already packed my bag and loaded it in the car. I had my neighborhood Bunko group last night where I imbibed some vino and fat food even though I had every intention of behaving. But it was fun ~ I love chatting with my friends and neighbors ~ and I even won a little money. I was the biggest loser! I went to bed late for me (~ 11:30) and had to drag my sorry butt out of bed this morning. I'm so lame; I was going to let my kids (read: myself) sleep in and then drive them to school, but damn if Taz didn't wake up. Sigh. I had to get up too. So anyway, since I was awake and packed, I had no excuse so I headed to the Y to swim. I did 1600 meters with a descending set for the main set, as recommended in the Patriot Half TriGirl training forum. It seems that the general school of thought is that to improve at swimming, you have to swim regularly. I'm trying, I really am. Maybe one day I will actually have a two swim training week.

Then at lunch I went to yoga, reluctantly, because I thought an instructor I don't particularly like was teaching. Bonus! Someone was subbing for her and it was a great class. Although I find that swimming before yoga or weights adds to the degree of difficulty. Perhaps that means I need to work more on upper body strength.

Tonight I have book club. I didn't particularly like our book this month but I'll listen to the other girls and give you a more balanced book review later this week. The book I really want to read is Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant, whom my children and I love, as recommended by Grandison. I've been meaning to hit Barnes & Noble to look for it. Perhaps I will have time to do that tonight.

If I get my butt moving...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

D-
That is the BEST book. I love all of Cynthia Rylant's children's books. So, so sweet...

SusieQ

Melissa said...

miscellany - i love it. sometimes we all need to take a breath of life outside of training. and i think you do a good job of living each day so no need for a tattoo on your forehead - besides...let's wait for the m-dot tattoo!! hua!