Thursday, May 3, 2007

What is this tapering of which you speak?

Clearly, I need some coaching intervention. I don't get the concept of tapering and I don't seem to have the ability to do it.

Case in point: this week.

I have the Capital to Capital on Saturday which will be a 50 mile bike ride. Yes, that's 14 miles further than I've ever ridden. An "A" race for me even, in this self-professed year of the bike.

So what do I do?

Sunday - run 5 miles (9:57/mi average)
Monday - swim 2000 meters (big fun by the way!), weights class
Tuesday - run 5 miles (10:10/mi average)
Wednesday - bike 26.5 miles, yoga
Thurday - run 2.5 miles including a timed mile (7:19 min)

No, these are not big numbers for actual athletes, but it's a damn good training week for me. Yes, I deserve to have a crappy race, burn out, and/or get injured.

Is the first step admitting you have a problem?

I will not work out tomorrow; I will not work out tomorrow; I will not work out tomorrow...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

why are you not doing e-man?!

Anonymous said...

now this is where you & I differ so much in training....I AM ALL ABOUT THR TAPER...in fact, I'm a self-professed taper professional. It's my fav part of the program!!!

Go to yoga, swim & that's it...walk or ride with the kids..eat well...

Hey, I got Rocketman to the start line, you should be a piece of cake!

xojo