Monday, May 7, 2007

TriKid Training

Taz and Rainbow's favorite thing to do on Sundays is to train for their upcoming triathlon. Last week, they swam so this week they wanted to bike and run. They actually wanted to do all three but we didn't have enough time.

We loaded up their bikes and headed to a pond near our house which has a nice paved trail all the way around it. The entire loop is a little over one mile. They biked it twice while I jogged along with them - "jogged" loosely translating to anything from standing still to sprinting to keep up. Then we ran/walked together for 0.6 mile. Taz has run with me before so he understands that he should start slowly. Rainbow took off at a sprint, and I tried to explain pacing to her. They did really well. When we finished, they both wanted to bike another lap, mainly to explore all the little paths off the main one.

About half way into the final lap, Taz decided he was finished. I had told myself that when it wasn't fun anymore, we would stop. But, I had a problem. We were equally far from the car in either direction, and Rainbow was still breezing ahead having a blast. I had to cajole Taz the remainder of the way. Since I was running up to Rainbow then back to encourage (and/or threaten as the case may be) Taz for the last half mile, I ended up running a total of four miles ~ 10:12 average pace. Wow, I hadn't planned on that! Taz sulked the whole way home while Rainbow enthused about how much fun she'd had.

Scouter and Mr. Bean took the kids to the Braves game in the afternoon while Beanie and I had a Party Girl purse party. Party Girls was started by our friend Cate and her business partner Meg. They have a bunch of different cute styles and lots of great fabric from which to select and design your own purse. Check it out!

I was really planning to swim last night but once it was clear that the party wasn't going to end on time, I started drinking wine instead. We ended up hanging out on our back deck with the Beans, which felt like summer and was quite fun.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

I am chuckling reading about your kids' training - but equally impressed. Yesterday's beautiful weather was the perfect excuse to skip an indoor swim workout for a drink or two on the deck.