Thursday, May 10, 2007

Still Contemplating...

I haven't signed up for the Patriot Half but I am still thinking about it. Will I have enough time to train properly? Even then, am I physically and mentally able to do it?

There are a lot of reasons not to do it, the most important being the extra time away from my kids. They get very upset with me when I leave them to train on the weekends. Or lately, they want to join me which is fun but doesn't really contribute to my training. There are other obstacles like never having swum in open water and being very afraid of it, not owning a wet suit, never having run 13.1 miles, etc. Is that sentence grammatically incorrect or just awkward? Anyway, all the reasons not to do it are running through my mind and they are compelling.

The only reason to do it is that I really want to.

To put this in context, I've never even done an Olympic tri and my first opportunity to do so comes less than a month before the half - if I can even do that one; we might be out of town. If I register for the half and have a horrible Olympic, I could always skip the half. But I'd have a really hard time committing to something then failing to see it through. On the other hand, the current Eagleman training schedule contains about nine hours of training throughout the week. On a good week, I train about nine hours now - but my schedule includes weight lifting and yoga which I love. Would I have to give them up? I think twelve hours is more than I can handle.

Should I wait a year to try a half? Or should I follow Nike's advice and just do it?

6 comments:

Annn said...

Do it.

Melissa said...

bike is a wise one. jsut do it.

i KNOW you can!

Melissa said...

bike=nike...been around them too much i guess

Jonah Holland said...

1. you don't need to do an olympic to do a half iron....I've only done sprints (so far) and Coach B...did an Ironman as his first race. GOD that man is crazy!
2. you know you want to do it...so just do it. The kids get used to it. they are bigger now and don't need you as much.
3. I would not worry at all about skipping Naylors (in fact i reccommend it) and you don't have to give up yoga, just cut back for a while if you need to.

Welcome to the HIM team

TriGirl 40 said...

You should so do it. You could do Eagleman now if it was still open - you've already been doing most of the training with us.

Anonymous said...

Don't think about it - just do it. You'll have plenty of training company. And - although we are all stressing about Eagleman, the training is an amazing bonding experience. You'll love it.

SusieQ