Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Mighty Taz at Bat

I've been dying to use this graphic. Even though the spinning is a bit annoying. And not that I would ever say that my own child, flesh of my flesh, is annoying, but yeah it's a pretty darn good representation of him. He is constant motion. I'm not kidding; he even flails around like a wild man when he's asleep.

So Mighty Taz had his first baseball game last night. He was soooo excited! He played tee ball last year and was supposed to play again this year because they changed the cutoff date to move up... yet somehow, he ended up on a machine pitch team. Scouter and I have been keeping his age on the down low thinking someone, somewhere in the bowels of baseball sign up hell made a mistake - and we don't want to get caught. But last night, we found out that there is at least one younger kid on the team. We were outed, and it's okay. Or at least, we will keep each other's secret.

In machine pitch baseball, games last three innings or two hours, whichever comes first. In my vast experience gained in tee ball last year, the number of innings never comes first. At this age, kids start to learn the basics of fielding, such as if by some miracle you manage to stop a baseball that comes hurtling somewhere in your vicinity, to which base do you throw it? Damn if I know, but my first grader is starting to figure it out.
Rainbow is playing tee ball this year, by the way. My babies look so adorable and yet so unbelievably tiny out on the field, especially when they hurl their little bodies in front of a fast moving projectile.
When it's their turn to hit, each child gets seven pitches. Taz had three at-bats, but Mommy only managed to see the last one in which he hit a blooper on the seventh pitch but ran super-fast to get on first. Scouter assures me that his first two efforts were far superior.

(I missed the first at-bat b/c I was at Ben Franklin wandering around behind the 12 year old worker I finally begged for assistance, trying to find craft materials for Taz's Cub Scout meeting which is tonight at our house. April is food and fitness month! Perfect for us. I missed his second at-bat because I was galloping - I mean this literally; I was supposed to be a horse - with Rainbow to the bathrooms which are conveniently located 2.8 miles from any baseball field. Anyway. Like you needed to know any of that.)

Scouter is thrilled beyond belief that his two prodigy are enjoying a sport that he so loves. He helps with practice, was the first base coach last night, practices with them at home... the whole nine yards. Or the whole nine innings, as it were.

No comments: