Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Happy Swim

I'm a happy little goldfish today. (Really a guppy but I couldn't find that graphic after, oh, two seconds of searching.) I actually had a good swim this morning! I actually swam this morning. I had to, since I didn't feel well Sunday and skipped Som's masters class.

Last week, Som posted a workout for us on the TriGirl forum that was essentially a warm up, cool down, with a 1,000 meter straight timed swim in the middle. Last week, I was intimidated. This week, I thought, what the hell? If I can torture myself climbing mountains for 2 1/2 hours on the Blue Ridge, surely I can swim 1,000 meters. After all, I can stop whenever I want with the absolute worst case 12 1/2 meter walk to a wall. How bad can it be?

After the first 200 - 300 meters, it actually wasn't so bad. I kind of got into a rhythm and just swam it out. My time, just in case I ever get the notion to do this again and compare, was 22:30, or about 1:10 per 50. That definitely tells me I need to pick up the pace in timed 50s. I'm also fairly consistent - I checked my time at the 300 meter mark and averaged about 1:05 per 50 at that point.

I was inspired by Melissa's blog yesterday as well. She is turning into a dolphin quickly and made me think, yeah, swimming should be fun.

I think my new mantra is going to be something like, "I rode the Blue Ridge, bitch. Bring it on!"

1 comment:

Melissa said...

thanks for the kudos! i am proud of you for your AMAZING 1000 time!!! who's a dolphin? you da dolphin! I am hoping to soon hit that distance...and maybe one day when I grow up I can hit that time, too! go you rockstar!...or starfish?!