Monday, April 9, 2007

Happy Easter

Somehow I got my holidays confused and took Easter as an opportunity to gorge myself. We started celebrating by having friends and former neighbors Ed and Meda over for dinner Saturday night.

Meda is Taz's Godmother and she takes full advantage of that fact to spoil them both rotten which they of course love. Saturday, she showed up with Easter baskets for each child containing a pooping chicken and tons of candy, among other inappropriate things. The chicken is plastic and "poops" gumballs, by the way. She brought wine for me and Scouter's favorite potato casserole though, so all is forgiven.

Even though it snowed Saturday morning, I was still sporting my spring fever and wanted to grill, so I made burgers using my grill pan on the stove. They were quite tasty, with bleu cheese and whatever else sounded good to me to toss in the mix, like dijon mustard and garlic. Taz and Rainbow even liked them although I did make theirs without the bleu cheese - that seems like more of an acquired/adult taste don't you think? This is the first time Rainbow has ever consented to taste a hamburger. She is so like me in so many ways, but love of all things food is not one of them.

I had a bit too much wine Saturday night - we were introducing Ed and Meda to all the different Veritas varietals that we enjoy. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Easter morning dawned way too early for me. Taz and Rainbow were up at 6 a.m. Yikes!

The Easter Bunny was good to the kids, bringing chocolate bunnies, Dreamer and Jump In! DVDs, two Junie B. Jones books, and their perennial favorite, new undies. I don't know why the Easter bunny started doing that undie thing years ago, but it stuck and we all find it quite entertaining to see what characters he picks from year to year.

Sunday afternoon, my parents joined us for the Easter Brunch at Richmond Country Club which is always very nice. Festivities began with an Easter egg hunt outdoors on the lawn in full winter gear. Taz and Rainbow enjoyed collecting many eggs as well as hugging the Easter bunny.

I tried to behave at the brunch and even started out with soup and salad to fill myself up with some vegetables, but I quickly moved on to an omelet, some grits, redskin mashed potatoes, roast beef, cheesecake, and whatever else didn't move out of my way. It was all quite tasty! Taz loved the carving station this year and couldn't get enough of the roast beef and ham. He and Scouter are big fans of RCC's key lime pie so that was a big hit as well.

Once back at home, I immediately flopped on the couch while the kids went outside to play and Scouter flipped on the Masters. We went to the tournament three years ago, which was amazing. Augusta National is stunning, and we were both interested in watching some of the event. However, I promptly fell asleep, and pretty soon Rainbow joined me. We napped for - and I'm not exaggerating - three hours! When we woke up, it was time to eat again. What a great day!

My one day of rest on Saturday stretched into two as all I did was sleep and eat all day Sunday, but man was it enjoyable.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

yes. taste testing wine can sometimes be a hard task to do. but we must do what we are good at right? i had to taste test sunday night. and then last night while srapbooking, too. sigh. the things we do for others. :)