Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Big 4-0

First I'd like to thank all of you who called, emailed, or commented about the massacre at Va. Tech yesterday. Yesterday, I was shocked and horrified; today I am very emotional about it. Your love and support are invaluable. As bad as I feel, I can't imagine what it must be like for the students who are there, and families and friends who have lost loved ones.

To try to move on to happier thoughts...

Happy birthday to TriGirl40! She is planning a big year, including training for IronMan Florida where she will totally rock. D, I hope you have a fabulous birthday and a great year!

I have already bored TriGirl 40 with this story, but now I will share it with you. For my 40th last year, Scouter shocked the hell out of me with a surprise party. He caught me completely off guard because he had my college roommate Margie (the coolest girl ever) call me several months in advance to say she was going to be in DC the weekend before my birthday (not that she referenced my b-day at all, just the date) and thought since she was going to be so close, she'd pop down to Richmond to see us. Scouter plotted with her so that she arrived right in the middle of Taz's baseball game so I couldn't go - I would have been quite curious to see my out of town family members there! I suspected absolutely nothing.

Margie and I spent the day in Carytown, including our own little mini happy hour with tasty margaritas at Nacho Mamas, so I was not at my sharpest once we got home! Scouter had offered to take the two of us out to dinner so I had arranged my own sitter. (I should have been suspicious when he said he would make the reservation!) When we were ready to go out, I pointed out that we had time for a drink at home, which is when Scouter suggested that we drop by the pool to see some college friends who would want to see Margie. Great idea!

He mentioned that they were having some beers (some "chillies" in Scouter lingo), to which I responded by grabbing my own bottle of wine, two glasses, and a corkscrew - which I entered my own surprise party carrying. Startlingly, everyone found that to be in character.

This is how clueless I was - we got to the pool and Scouter said we should cut through the club house. I walked in and saw people, turned to Scouter and Margie to say we couldn't cut through because there was a party. At that point, the band started playing The Beatles' "Today is Your Birthday" and I realized that these were MY people!

My other college roommate Jill (also the coolest girl ever), her husband, college friends, neighbors, family, and work friends were all there. My Dad had on his boogie shoes in full force, as did Beanie, Cate and I. Scouter had a live band (who were fantastic), food, beverages, and a huge birthday cake with an image of me when I was about two. It was one of the best parties I've ever attended.

I asked Scouter if I could have a re-do at 41 but unfortunately he doesn't seem so inclined. Still, he is the man.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That is so fabulous!!! And you never know when you're making a memory. my sister once gave me a quote.."God gave us memories so that we may have roses in december" cheers to everyday being your 40th!

TriGirl 40 said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes and for sharing such a great story - I loved hearing/reading it again!