Friday, February 22, 2008

2008

At long last I am figuring out and posting about 2008. There is a lot that is still up in the air but here's what I'm thinking...

The big thing I'm excited about is that I'm going back to school! Yippee!!! I've been talking about it for years and finally got the balls to do it. I start a graduate program at VCU next weekend. It is an executive fast track master of science program, which means that classes are held every other weekend for fourteen months. It will be intense! If all goes well, I will graduate in May, 2009.

We had orientation last Saturday and already have a book to read and a paper to write... and I find that oddly stimulating. My kids just find it odd that mommy wants to go back to school. I think Scouter shares their viewpoint although he is supportive.

Sadly, class will cut into my triathlon habit. I don't think it's fair for me to be away from home every other weekend for school and then be away other weekend days for races. Soooo I am planning to do just enough racing to keep me fit and sane without annoying the crap out of my family and heaping too much guilt upon my own head. Hopefully I can find that happy balance!

The big unknown in all of this speculation is where I may be working. My training schedule will be seriously impacted by the location and demands of said job. I've been searching for a new position and have made it to the final few candidates several times but haven't gotten anything yet. Several jobs that I was interested in, and which espoused interest in me, have dried up with the economic downturn. Perhaps they will become active again. I need to get back to work but I am quite enjoying myself in the meantime!
.
I registered for the Shamrock Half Marathon before I committed to school which is good or bad depending upon my perspective on a given day. I have school that weekend but the race is on a Sunday so I can still run. Originally when I signed up, I was planning to use the half as a training race for the White (Pink) Lake Half Ironman in May but with school I'm not doing a HIM, so I'll run Shamrock just for fun. My goal was to finish in 2 - 2:05; now I will run with the Bean and finish around 2:30. Having this event on my calendar has definitely motivated me to increase my run distance. On Tuesday, Beanie and I ran 12 miles which is the farthest either of us has ever run. We're scheduled to run 14 next week. I can certainly say that I wouldn't have done that on my own, nor would I have run at all on some of the days we have if Shamrock wasn't looming.

Alas without a tri on my schedule I haven't been swimming at all and my cycling has been pathetic. In the last month, I've only done indoor cycling once a week for an hour. I learned to love my bike last year and I miss it. I'm thinking I will race I Love the Tavern sprint triathlon in late June and then perhaps bike Heart of Virginia in September. Dates for 2008 haven't been published but I should at least be able to ride Sunday. I wanted to race Giant Acorn again because I love that event, but sadly I will be in class while it is happening. If you have other suggestions for a fall event, let me know!

I'm looking forward to a fun and intersting 2008, whatever it may bring.

4 comments:

TriGirl Kate O said...

congrats on the MS program. It will be well worth it, even if you need to sacrifice your training/races. For fall runs, think about the Army 10 miler in NoVA. Sign ups start in April. I will do it for the third year in a row this year.

TriGirl 40 said...

What an exciting year - balancing lots of different aspects of your life!

Anonymous said...

You do well in everything you try even when it's not a tri! What an exciting year you have have been thrust into! JenniferS

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

It is so wonderful that you will be going back to school, what a great even if stressful, chance for you. I am sure you will handle it all wonderfully!