Saturday, March 1, 2008

Workout Week in Review

Look at this... a WWIR that is on time and under budget! Just like Wilder...

BAH HA HA! Such the political satirist I am!!!

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled blog post...

All in all, not a bad week. The big disappointment is the complete and total lack of biking. Not even an indoor cycling or spin class to be found. Big sigh. But onto the stuff that did happen...

Sunday: Nothing. Well not much anyway. I did a little hiking as excessively described and vividly photographed for my previous post. I've been sucking big-time on weekend exercise lately with no significant improvement expected in the foreseeable future. But on the bright side I was well-rested for...

Monday: Weights class. I sorely missed weights class last week (if you'll excuse the pun!!!). Monday's class was great and my glutes and pecs in particular were very sore for...

Tuesday: Beanie and I ran 14 miles. FOURTEEN freakin' miles. That is the new official longest distance for both of us. Our pace wasn't stellar (11:15 min/mile average) but we didn't care. I am so darned proud of us for doing it. I felt like I was preparing for a journey - a good night sleep, layered clothing, adequate nutrition and hydration, planned route including bathroom breaks - and in many ways it was a journey. We ran a long way from home. The run was even pretty good until the last two miles when it started raining a little bit, my hips and hammies tightened up, and the absolute monotony of running for over 2 1/2 hours started kicking in. I could never ever ever in a million years have done that run without Beanie. We chatted and bitched and gossiped and solved the world's problems as we ran. Fourteen miles. And our kids said we couldn't do it! I rested on my laurels for...

Wednesday: I honestly did not have the motivation or the leg strength to contemplate cycling so I slept in and met the Z-Crew at Starbucks afterwards for a skinny latte. Lesley and Caroline dropped us like a bad habit after coffee while Jennifer, Patty, Courtney and I headed for the Y. Courtney and Patty swam while Jennifer and I went to...

Wait for it...





ZUMBA!

With our favorite teacher, Chris, who is an aerobic goddess. Seriously, we had a blast in her class and followed it up with a relaxing yoga. This time, we brought several additional layers of clothing which helped tremendously. Beanie somehow managed to do a weights class after the previous day's run which is phenomenal to me, then she met us for yoga. Sadly, I had a conflict and couldn't join the girls for lunch. WAH! I hate it when my Zumba day gets cut short. Next week, girls, I'm all in! And I was pumped up for...

Thursday: I didn't have time to run during the day like I usually do but Scouter was kind enough to let me fit in a run that night. I strapped on my reflector bands and my iPod and ran four miles at something approximating 9:30 min/mile. It felt faster but my Garmin did not capture the distance properly so I don't know for sure. Ah well. Anything under 11:00 is fast for me these days. I was reasonably well rested for...

Friday: Weights class. YES! Two in one week! Honestly my legs were still tired from Tuesday's run but nonetheless it was a great class. Beanie and I giggled and chatted through the whole thing like we do with everything else. Fortunately the teacher seemed to find us amusing instead of annoying which is what we actually were. Which brings us back to...

Saturday: Instead of my long-lost Saturday ride with the cycling posse, I got to go to grad school! which is equally draining and fun in an entirely different way. I saw my business and triathlon guru/mentor Joe there and we joked about my nonexistent triathlon season. Like the great guy that he is, he assured me that it will always be there and encouraged me to do what I can while I'm in the program.

Other than the tirimisu, cake, and chocolate candy I ate with complete abandon, it was a good week.

No comments: