Monday, November 26, 2007

Food Plan, Baby

In preparation for our trip to Disney, I pre-purchased their food plan which consisted of one table service meal (sit down/waiter), one counter service meal (walk up), and one snack for each of us per day. I was actually concerned that this wouldn't be enough food, but my goal was for Scouter to open his wallet as little as possible. Better for everyone if Daddy stays happy. And thinking about what this trip cost does not equal a happy Daddy.

One the first day, we discovered - after ordering lunch for each kid - that a counter service kid's meal is along the lines of 9 chicken nuggets, large fries, a huge drink, and a large ice cream sundae. In fact, every meal included dessert. We soon realized that we could order one meal for them to split and let them eat reasonable amounts more frequently as opposed to throwing away a lot of food and listening to whines about starvation a few short hours later.

Our meals were equally absurd. A counter service might be a personal pizza, side salad, large drink, and dessert. A table service meal was even bigger - appetizer, entree, drink, and dessert.

Early in the week, I was fairly well behaved and ordered desserts like fruit or Mickey rice crispy treats that I saved for the kids. By the end of the week, I was snarfing down carrot cake and cannoli like nobody's business, and shaking violently if I didn't have a sugar fix every four hours.

I'm pretty certain that all the visitors to our great nation shook their heads knowingly when they saw me walking by, laden down with trays of food that could feed a starving nation but really only destined for our family of four. Add in a breakfast buffet and two family style dinners and we really had more food than anyone should eat in a month.

To top it off, I cooked a massive make-up Thanksgiving dinner yesterday: turkey, ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, rolls, and pumpkin crisp with vanilla ice cream.

I now look like I'm about three months pregnant with my big pouch.

I call it my food plan baby.

2 comments:

Annn said...

Next Thanksgiving I am coming to your house.

mmmmmm pumpkin crisp.

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

I love it! We have never gotten the food plan when we go. We get the fridge and stock up. Then we spend the rest of the day trying to time itso we are at the hotel on time for a meal. Your way sounds way more fun and stress free!