Thursday, November 15, 2007

2007 and some preliminary thoughts on 2008

I started reflecting on this year and geez... no wonder I'm tired! I did an event every month from April through November!

April: Monument 10k - a PR for me.
May: Capital to Capital cycling event, half century (actually ~ 56 miles) - my longest distance at that point in time; Race for the Cure
June: Power Sprint triathlon - PR
July: Run leg of sprint tri relay with Annnn and Thomas - fun!
August: Luray Olympic - my first
September: Heart of Virginia cycling event (metric century Sat followed by 40 miles Sunday) - the first time I'd ridden that far or two consecutive days
October: Giant Acorn sprint triathlon
November: Luter Family YMCA Duathlon - my first and possibly only

My training volume increased significantly this year, especially on the bike. And I learned to love my bike. Which is great because 2007 was my year of the bike!

Even though I didn't swim nearly as much as I should have this year, swim volume was up significantly too. Run volume was down but I expected that. Something has to give, right? Plus, I was running four days a week for awhile last year and that's just too much for my old body and for my general interest in the sport.

Weight workouts and yoga suffered this year, in part because I couldn't do them for awhile when I broke my finger and in part because I just couldn't fit everything in this summer.

So what to do next? I'm starting to think about next year. For big overarching goals, I'd like to continue to focus on cycling while also paying more attention to the run. Consistency and a bit more speed would be great.

As for races, there are quite a few variables at play and I definitely won't do this many events, but the potential options include:

March: Shamrock half marathon - already committed and registered. The only definite on this list!
April: Monument Ave 10k - what the hell, I do it every year and I'll already be trained from Shamrock
May: Cap to Cap half or full century; White Lake half IronMan - extremely tentative.
June: MS150 cycling event - this is a very personal cause for me and I really want to make it work this year; Power Sprint
August: Luray Olympic with Jennifer - I have something to prove after last year. Okay, this may have to be another definite.
September: Heart of Virginia cycling; Naylor's Olympic - if something goes really wrong with Luray plans
October: Giant Acorn - because I think Jennifer will make me do it again. Maybe she'll let me get away with volunteering. That water was cold!!! But then again, the bike route was really nice...

Lots of fun events to think about and training to anticipate. I will be able to commit once I get the rest of my life figured out.

Now about that break...

See ya on the flip side!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank God I don't run. Good luck with all that, see ya on the bike! :-)

REB60 said...

A great year! Also looks like we have a few of the same cycling events! By the way, the 55 percent geek in me requires me to tell you that I'm posting this with my iPhone.

Bolder said...

hi TriDi, following up with you and everyone on your offer for help!

the blog is up here:

http://bloggersagainstcancer.blogspot.com/

we are working through the name, and a graphic design... have a look!

Unknown said...

You can probably get me to ride whatever this year!

Anonymous said...

Your goals look great! I need to work on some myself. As for the Big Nut, you won't even need to train after all those events! Have a great break and vacation! JenniferS

Jon said...

What? No plans to come to the Chicago area for a race? We have lots of fun ones here.
Nice recap of the year. I haven't even started thinking about next year.
Hope you had a good Turkey Day!