Friday, November 2, 2007

Du Prep

Annnn, Margo, RCAT, and I are doin' the du tomorrow. It is a 5k run, 25k bike, 5k run series.

I'm ending the season just as I started it: racing in a hurricane. The remnaints of Hurricane Noel are passing through today causing very windy conditions for the next two days with the possibility of some rain. We'll be two hours closer to the Atlantic so I'm guessing it will be even windier. Great.

Seriously - great. That can be my excuse for sucking as opposed to the truth which is that after two months of almost constant tapering and recovering, I'm not in very good shape. Almost all of my runs in the last few weeks have been 10+ min/mile and I've only biked once a week at best. Methinks this race is going to be uggggg-ly.

The race director distributed updated course maps yesterday with helpful information like "dangerous turn followed by steep uphill" for the bike and "big uphill" for the run. Annnn and I are planning to drive the courses today just so we know exactly how scared we need to be.

Fortunately, there are only three women in my age group so as long as I finish, I'm bringing home hardware. I won't feel like I deserve it though.
.
Annn and I are driving to Smithfield this afternoon for the aforementioned course preview and packet pickup, then we're meeting Margo and Rcat for dinner. After the award ceremony where we will likely all pick up hardware (me as a gimme; Annn, Margo and Rcat battling much larger and more competitive fields), Annnn and I are driving home where massage appointments await us.

Oh yeah, that's why I'm doing this race.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

good luck, trigirl! go bring home the gold!

Anonymous said...

enjoy it! have fun out there.

Anonymous said...

Not a bad reason to do your last race of the season... you deserve it! Can't wait for the details as I feel guilty recovering from the beerfest in Urbanna. JenniferS